Malaysia’s ‘Datuk Trio’ want Anwar Ibrahim triedMarch 24th, 2011 - 2:28 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, March 24 (IANS) Two politicians and a businessman have said they are the mysterious “Datuk T” or “Datuk Trio” behind a sex video which, according to them, features former deputy prime minister Anwar Ibrahim.
Former Malacca state chief minister Rahim Tamby Chik, another politician Shuib Lazim and businessman Shazryl Eskay Abdullah, all having the traditional Malaysian title, have come forward to say they are the “Datuk T” and are demanding Ibrahim’s trial.
Ibrahim has denied he is the man in the video, purportedly showing a man having sex with a foreign prostitute in a hotel room. He has termed it a ‘conspiracy’ to malign him and the opposition alliance Pakatan Rakyat that he heads, in time for possible early election.
He has claimed that he was at home with his family and staff when the alleged incident took place.
The three revealed themselves after an alleged attempt to win over five of Ibrahim’s MPs by showing them the video failed, The Star newspaper said Thursday.
The trio demanded the setting up of a Royal Commission of Inquiry (RCI) that can only be ordered by the royal constitutional head to investigate the sex video implicating Ibrahim.
Tamby Chik told the media that this was necessary because the scandal involved “a top leader who is ambitious to be a national leader and the Malaysian prime minister”.
“This is the person who will determine the future of the country, the future of Malaysians and the status of Islam in the country,” he told a press conference at a hotel here.
Police are not buying the trio’s claim that they are the “Datuk T” and will investigate.
“We can’t just take their word for it,” Ghazali Mohammed Amin, a police official, said.
The hotel where the video was supposedly shot has denied the claim of “Datuk T”.
Sex scandals have rocked Malaysia’s political scene many times before.
Ibrahim is currently under trial on charge of sodomising an aide. Earlier in 1998, he was slapped with a similar charge and was sacked as deputy prime minister.
- Malaysian men behind sex video unmasked - Mar 24, 2011
- Sex video controversy: Malaysian politician Anwar told to swear on Quran - Apr 21, 2011
- Malaysian Police confirms sex video featuring top politician as genuine - Apr 02, 2011
- YouTube removes sex video implicating Malaysian opposition leader - Apr 05, 2011
- Malay leader denies man in YouTube sex video is her husband - Apr 05, 2011
- Posters of Malaysian sex video out in Kuala Lumpur - Apr 28, 2011
- Another sex scandal hits Malaysia (Lead) - Mar 21, 2011
- Malaysian opposition MP's sex video emerges - Mar 21, 2011
- Woman claims to have 18 sex videos of Malaysian leader - Mar 23, 2011
- Malaysian leader denies being part of sex video - Mar 22, 2011
- Malaysian speaker bars sex video's screening in parliament - Apr 05, 2011
- Malay leader Anwar lodges FIR, says sex video a conspiracy to malign him - Mar 22, 2011
- Malaysian Indian lawmaker quits party, alliance - Jan 30, 2011
- Hidden cameras in Malay hotel rooms used to blackmail patrons - Mar 17, 2011
- My wife not interested in watching sex video: Anwar Ibrahim - Mar 27, 2011
Tags: amin, anwar ibrahim, businessman, chief minister, commission of inquiry, deputy prime minister, having sex, kuala lumpur, malaysian prime minister, malaysians, minister anwar, mps, national leader, opposition alliance, pakatan, police official, politician, rci, sex scandals, tamby