Malaysian lawmaker in nude photo scandal to resume dutiesApril 15th, 2009 - 5:39 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, April 15 (DPA) A Malaysian opposition lawmaker who resigned after her nude photos were publicly circulated has been asked to resume her duties, officials said Wednesday.
Elizabeth Wong, from the opposition People’s Justice Party, had lodged a police report after the photos surfaced in February, claiming they were circulated without her consent.
However, she tendered her resignation as assembly member for the central state of Selangor and took a leave of absence.
On Wednesday, Selangor Chief Minister Abdul Khalid Ibrahim said Wong, 37, has been asked to stay on and resume her duties starting Thursday.
“The state government believes this is an appropriate and fair decision after taking into consideration views from all quarters, public interest and the fact that police investigations have to date failed to reach a conclusion,” Khalid was quoted as saying by the Star online news portal.
He said Wong was a victim of intrusion of privacy, and therefore should not be the one to be punished.
Local news reports had said the photos were believed to have been taken by her ex-boyfriend without her knowledge in her home. Police have yet to find the suspect for questioning.
Wong, who is a well-known human rights activist and is single, had said the scandal was an attempt to discredit her party, led by former deputy premier Anwar Ibrahim.
- Malaysian opposition lawmaker quits after nude photo scandal - Feb 17, 2009
- Lawmaker's ex-boyfriend to be questioned for her nude pictures - Feb 18, 2009
- Sex video controversy: Malaysian politician Anwar told to swear on Quran - Apr 21, 2011
- Elizabeth Wong offers to resign over nude photographs controversy - Feb 17, 2009
- Tom Lippolis Restrained From Making "JWoww" Farley's Nude Photos Public - Jan 21, 2011
- Vanessa Hudgens 'furious' over release of nude pics - Mar 16, 2011
- Judge blocks release of JWoww's nude pics - Jan 20, 2011
- Another Indian joins Malaysian by-poll fray - Apr 17, 2010
- Puerto Rico senator resigns over nude photos - Aug 30, 2011
- Three blasts after Malaysian court acquits Anwar (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- FBI tracking hackers targeting Vanessa Hudgens, other celebs - Mar 18, 2011
- Telangana students attack minister's house - Sep 07, 2011
- Malaysian leader denies being part of sex video - Mar 22, 2011
- Malay leader Anwar lodges FIR, says sex video a conspiracy to malign him - Mar 22, 2011
- Malaysian speaker bars sex video's screening in parliament - Apr 05, 2011
Tags: anwar ibrahim, assembly member, chief minister, elizabeth wong, human rights activist, intrusion of privacy, justice party, khalid ibrahim, kuala lumpur, leave of absence, news reports, nude photos, opposition lawmaker, police investigations, police report, public interest, resignation, state government, state of selangor, taking into consideration