Malaysian government introduces witness protection billDecember 16th, 2008 - 5:19 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, Dec 16 (DPA) Malaysia’s law minister Tuesday introduced a witness protection programme in Parliament as part of efforts to protect whistle-blowers in corruption and criminal cases.Nazri Abdul Aziz presented the proposed legislation, which would provide accommodation and a new identity to those accepted as witnesses.
Under the bill, the attorney general would approve applications by whistle-blowers who have to meet an exhaustive list of criteria, including passing physical and mental examinations.
Nazri also said that informers would be allowed to give evidence from the dock with their faces covered while children could testify from a separate room.
The legislation was introduced a week after two other pro-reform bills were tabled in parliament - an anti-corruption bill and another to set up a committee to select senior judges.
Observers have hailed the efforts as the long-awaited push by Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi toward clamping down on rampant corruption in the judiciary and the government.
- Anna threatens a bigger Lokpal movement (Lead) - Mar 23, 2012
- Whistle-blowers bill passed by Lok Sabha - Dec 28, 2011
- Full faith in Anna's movement, say whistle-blowers' families, friends - Mar 25, 2012
- Anna breaks one-day token fast - Mar 25, 2012
- Anna threatens of a bigger Lokpal movement - Mar 23, 2012
- Anna Hazare postpones fast to March 25 - Mar 14, 2012
- Bansal appeals to Lok Sabha to pass Lokpal bill - Dec 26, 2011
- Anna returns with anti-graft protest, threatens more agitation (Roundup) - Mar 25, 2012
- Whistleblowers bill likely to come in Rajya Sabha Tuesday - Aug 13, 2012
- Madhya Pradesh CM to meet Team Anna next week - Mar 15, 2012
- 'Other bills should not conflict with whistle-blower's bill' - Aug 10, 2011
- Government has failed to protect whistleblowers: Hazare - Mar 25, 2012
- Lokpal bill in parliament by Wednesday: Bansal (Lead) - Jul 29, 2011
- Lok Sabha takes up judicial accountability bill - Dec 28, 2011
- Team Anna to stage fast seeking justice for slain officer - Mar 12, 2012
Tags: abdullah ahmad badawi, kuala lumpur, law minister, malaysian government, new identity, prime minister abdullah ahmad badawi, rampant corruption, reform bills, whistle blowers, witness protection