Make Rahul leader of Lok Sabha, MPs urge SoniaJuly 26th, 2012 - 10:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 26 (IANS) After Congress leader Rahul Gandhi recently expressed his “readiness” for a more “proactive” role, as many as 10 party members in the Lok Sabha Thursday petitioned Congress chief Sonia Gandhi to make him the leader of the house.
The post has been lying vacant since Pranab Mukherjee was named the United Progressive Alliance’s presidential nominee and has to be filled before the monsoon Session starts Aug 8.
According to the letter written by the MPs, making Rahul Gandhi the leader of the Lok Sabha is the need of the hour to provide a sense of confidence among the party and the people.
“In a challenging scenario both globally and within the country, Rahul’s leadership will inspire the party in parliament,” a cabinet minister, who is one of the signatories to the letter, told IANS on the condition that he not be named.
“Youth of the country, who constitute half of the population, will be very happy with his elevation… he can attract youth and common masses,” he said.
In the letter, the parliamentarians have expressed hope that Gandhi would be able to effectively deal with the opposition and the allies and would easily strike a rapport with them.
Another MP said though only 10 of them had signed the letter, the sentiment was shared by many lawmakers in the party.
Though the convention has been that only a cabinet minister can be made the leader of the house, an MP said it is not a law and a can be changed.
The idea behind the convention is that the leader of the lower house would be able to respond to governmental issues if he has administrative experience.
- Will he, won't he? Congress awaits Rahul's next move - Sep 13, 2012
- I'll welcome Rahul Gandhi to UPA government: Manmohan Singh (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Sonia Gandhi should be leader of Lok Sabha, says Congress MP - Jul 30, 2012
- Rahul ready for bigger role, to be No 2 in party (Night Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Rahul gets 'proactive', will be Congress no. 2 (Second Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Hope Rahul takes greater role in government: PM (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Rahul's remark triggers speculation about ministerial role - Jul 20, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi may be Congress working president soon - Nov 05, 2011
- I'll welcome Rahul's entry into government, says PM (Third Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Party or government for Rahul? Both, say Congress members - Aug 03, 2012
- I'll welcome Rahul's entry into government: PM (Second Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- End of Youth Congress chapter for Rahul at November meet? - Nov 11, 2011
- Rahul will need to deliver - and fast (Comment) - Jul 21, 2012
- Shinde is new Leader of House in Lok Sabha (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Rahul ready for 'pro-active' role, to be No 2 in party (Evening Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
Tags: administrative experience, cabinet minister, congress chief, congress leader, governmental issues, lawmakers, Lok Sabha, monsoon session, mps, New Delhi, parliamentarians, party members, pranab mukherjee, presidential nominee, proactive role, progressive alliance, rahul gandhi, sentiment, signatories, sonia gandhi