Make MNREGA a success, say PM, SoniaFebruary 2nd, 2012 - 2:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 2 (IANS) Payment under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MNREGA) should be given within 15 days, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said Thursday as Congress chief Sonia Gandhi stressed that the key to the scheme’s success was empowering grassroots level organisations.
“In the last six years, we have seen several achievements in the implementation of MNREGA but there are several challenges before us. The biggest worry is that workers get payment on time,” the prime minister said at a conference on MNREGA here.
“For this there is need for post offices and banks to increase their reach in villages,” he said.
The prime minister added that the potential and basic aims of MNREGA had not been fully realised.
Speaking on the occasion, the Congress president said empowering the grassroots level organisations was the key to success of MNREGA and complaints of corruption should be strictly addressed.
“Panchayat plays a big role in implementation of MNREGA and we need to empower these grassroots organisations,” she said.
“Complaints of corruption in this scheme should be seriously addressed.”
Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh added that implementation of MNREGA would be reviewed and be given a final shape over the next few weeks.
Enacted in 2005, MNREGA guarantees 100 days of wage-employment in a financial year to a rural household whose adult members volunteer to do unskilled manual work.
- Delayed wages, corruption in MNREGA worry PM, Sonia (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- PM concerned over delayed NREGA wages, Sonia suggests reforms (second lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- NREGS may be linked to skill development - Sep 30, 2011
- Funds for rural employment programme misused: Sonia Gandhi - Feb 02, 2011
- Government receives 1400 complaints in implementation of MNREGA - Nov 17, 2010
- Kashmiri youth benefit from government employment scheme - Feb 26, 2011
- LJP activists protest against Centre for poor implementation of MGNREGA - Mar 30, 2011
- PM announces rural wage hike, Sonia wants new direction(Lead) - Feb 02, 2011
- Narendra Modi slams government schemes - Jul 24, 2010
- Joshi rejects Modi's demand for probe into job scheme - Jul 28, 2010
- Smart Cards issued to Uttar Pradesh labourers under MNREGA - May 25, 2010
- Right to recall may lead to political instability: Pranab - Nov 20, 2011
- Chandigarh farmers suffer due to labour shortage - May 29, 2010
- HIV-AIDS prevention tops India's agenda, says minister (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Jaipur police baton-charge protesting village Panchayat chiefs - Sep 01, 2010
Tags: adult members, congress chief, congress president, corruption, development minister, feb 2, grassroots level, grassroots organisations, guarantees, jairam ramesh, mahatma gandhi, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, panchayat, post offices, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rural development, sonia gandhi