‘Make aspiring presidents declare assets’June 19th, 2012 - 5:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 19 (IANS) Ahead of the July 19 presidential election, a think tank Tuesday said presidential candidates should be asked to declare their assets.
The National Election Watch (NEW) has written to the Election Commission asking it to ensure that candidates for the posts of president and vice-president came out with their assets.
“Since a 2003 judgment of the Supreme Court directing the Election Commission to get background information on criminal records, assets, liabilities, education, all candidates contesting parliament or assembly elections have to give this declaration,” it said.
“Most state election commissions have also implemented it. However, there is no such declaration in force for the presidential election.”
Backing the demand are former chief election commissioners N. Gopalaswami and T.S. Krishnamurthy.
“The EC should extend this requirement to the elections to the office of the president and vice-president. It is in the fitness of things that all elected offices in the country, from the lowest level to the highest, are brought within the same discipline,” said Gopalaswami.
Krishnamurthy said: “The Election Commission can extend the logic to require these candidates to file the affidavits in the interest of free and fair election.”
- 'Reforms in poll panel needed for better functioning' - Mar 15, 2011
- Ansari re-elected vice president with comfortable margin (Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- New bank accounts mandatory for candidates - Dec 24, 2011
- Presidential fight finalised, focus shifts on Ansari's successor - Jun 23, 2012
- Court approves poll panel probe against Ashok Chavan - Sep 30, 2011
- Ansari re-elected vice president with wide margin (Intro Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Delhi University all set for polls Friday - Sep 13, 2012
- 1.76 crore Punjab residents to vote Monday - Jan 29, 2012
- Prez poll schedule to be announced soon: Sampath (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- All eyes on Lambi as Punjab heads for assembly polls - Jan 28, 2012
- Khurshid reprimand needed to uphold EC's dignity: Quraishi - Mar 08, 2012
- Congress likely to re-nominate Hamid Ansari - Jul 09, 2012
- Pakistan to stop graft money use in elections - Dec 30, 2011
- Mayawati siphoning development funds to BSP candidates: BJP - Oct 17, 2011
- Nitish may back Ansari as vice president (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: affidavits, assembly elections, assets liabilities, background information, chief election, criminal records, ec, election commission, election commissioners, election commissions, judgment, krishnamurthy, national election, New Delhi, office of the president, parliament, presidential candidates, presidential election, presidents, state election