Main problem of Greater Noida villagers overlooked: BJPMay 21st, 2011 - 6:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 21 (IANS) As the National Commission for Women (NCW) Saturday said it has found atrocities being committed in Bhatta Pasaul village in Uttar Pradesh, the Bharatiya Janata Party maintained that the original problem of the farmers was being overlooked in the controversy.
“The irony is that the original problem is getting lost in the whole controversy, that is the inadequate compensation to the farmers,” BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman told IANS.
Sitharaman said that only an independent inquiry can ascertain the truth of what happened in the village.
“NCW is a statutory body, they have found some facts and given a report, but what we are asking is for an independent inquiry. We are demanding a judicial inquiry in the action done by the state government,” she said.
A violent clash erupted between police and farmers in Bhatta Parsaul village early this month that left four dead, including two policeman. The farmers were demanding greater compensation for their land acquired for development projects.
“We can’t make a judgment on a report from a statutory body. We have been demanding a judicial inquiry.”
The spokesperson added that the controversy surrounding the alleged rapes and murders has been created by Congress, in tandem with the ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP).
“The fear Congress has been building by exaggerating the figures is not fair, there is a match fixing between BSP and Congress,” she alleged.
- NCW wants CBI probe into assaults on Bhatta-Parsaul women (Second Lead) - May 21, 2011
- NCW wants CBI probe in Bhatta-Parsaul violence, Mayawati hits back (Third Lead) - May 22, 2011
- Congress defends Rahul Gandhi on Bhatta-Parsaul, BJP hits out (Intro Roundup) - May 19, 2011
- BJP accuses Rahul Gandhi of exaggeration - May 18, 2011
- PM announces aid, Pilot tries to enter Bhatta-Parsaul (Third Lead) - May 22, 2011
- Need judicial inquiry for atrocities on farmers: Digvijay Singh - May 12, 2011
- BJP makes veiled attack on Rahul over Ramdev crackdown - Jun 09, 2011
- Will continue crusade to get farmers justice: Congress - May 17, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi detained in Uttar Pradesh village - May 12, 2011
- NCW says women molested in Bhatta-Parsaul, seeks CBI probe - May 21, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi takes farmers to meet PM (Lead) - May 16, 2011
- Dalit's daughter Mayawati now chasing money: Digvijay Singh - May 13, 2011
- NCW team visits violence-hit Greater Noida village - May 12, 2011
- Sachin Pilot visits jailed Bhatta-Parsaul villagers - May 22, 2011
- Why is Mayawati government averse to CBI probe: Congress (Lead) - May 17, 2011
Tags: atrocities, bharatiya janata party, controversy, development projects, farmers, fear congress, greater noida, inadequate compensation, independent inquiry, irony, judicial inquiry, murders, New Delhi, policeman, rapes, spokesperson, state government, statutory body, uttar pradesh, violent clash