Mahatma wanted Congress dissolved: Modi (Lead)November 8th, 2008 - 8:07 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Nov 8 (IANS) Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi Saturday claimed Mahatma Gandhi wanted the Congress party dissolved after Independence and that the party’s government at the Centre had gifted “inflation and terrorism” to the country. Addressing an election rally in Chhattisgarh, Modi said: “Mahatma Gandhi wanted to dissolve the Congress party once the country got Independence but it did not happen. Now it’s the duty of the people to dissolve this party.”
At a campaign meeting at Dhamtari, some 60 km from here, six days before the first phase of polling for the 90-member Chhattisgarh assembly, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader said: “Congress government is a burden on the country as it has failed to rein in rising inflation and rising terrorism.”
“The whole nation is facing the heat of inflation due to flawed policies of the Congress party,” Modi said at the well-attended rally. He appealed to the people to vote the BJP back to power in the state and not to give the Congress a chance to stage a comeback.
Modi reached Chhattisgarh Saturday morning to address about a dozen public meetings on a two-day campaign trip.
He also addressed a rally at Rajnandgaon, where Chief Minister Raman Singh is locked in a battle with the sitting Congress legislator.
“The mineral-rich state was created by Atal Bihari Vajpayee for its fast development but his dream was shattered by the Congress government that took charge of the state in Nov 2000 when it was carved out of Madhya Pradesh,” Modi said.
“Please vote for BJP as you people know well what Raman Singh has done for the state, he is committed to development,” Modi said.
- Congress gifted inflation, terrorism to nation: Modi - Nov 08, 2008
- Speed up public welfare work, Raman Singh tells collectors - Nov 21, 2011
- Modi steps up attack on Congress-led UPA - Jun 10, 2012
- Chhattisgarh on alert against Maoist strike - Aug 14, 2011
- Chhattisgarh government defeats censure motion - Dec 20, 2011
- Gandhi family behind 'Hindu atankwad': Gadkari - Jan 09, 2011
- Chhattisgarh government defeats no-confidence motion (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Mayawati ignores common man, promotes corrupt: Rahul - Feb 15, 2012
- Akali Dal-BJP kick off Punjab poll campaign - Dec 18, 2011
- Farmers' suicides unabated in Chhattisgarh: Congress - Jan 02, 2012
- BJP, Congress take help of chief ministers in Jharkhand campaign - Dec 13, 2009
- Rahul frustrates Modi, BJP: Congress - Aug 15, 2011
- Chhattisgarh Congress to give Advani corruption chargesheet - Oct 21, 2011
- Campaign picks up for Bihar polls - Oct 16, 2010
- Chhattisgarh parties prepare strategy ahead of winter session - Dec 14, 2011