Mahatma Gandhi look-alike asks people to boycott election, heldMarch 20th, 2009 - 8:40 pm ICT by IANS
Ghaziabad, March 20 (IANS) Gandhigiri has landed a 65-year-old man, who claimed to have contested the presidential elections in 2007, in police custody. Attired as Mahatma Gandhi, Mahesh Chaturvedi had been distributing pamphlets and pasting posters here asking people to boycott elections, till he was arrested Friday.
Chaturvedi, dressed as Mahatma Gandhi, had been distributing pamphlets and pasting posters during the last few days asking people to boycott the elections. “Do not cast vote - boycott of the election is a must” the posters read, station officer of the Kavi Nagar police station Gajendra Singh said.
Chaturvedi said he had been wrongly arrested. “In democracy every citizen has right of speak,” Chaturvedi maintained.
Chaturvedi claimed to have contested the 2007 presidential election. He said his name was proposed by four members of the parliament.
“The police acted like the police of British regime,” Chaturvedi said.
According to the police, no person shall print or publish election pamphlets or posters which do not bear the name and address of the printer and publisher. In Chaturvedi’s posters there is no indication of the name and address of the printer and publisher.
“Chaturvedi has been booked under section 127 (A) of Public Representative Act of 1951,” Singh said.
- Azharuddin booked for violating poll code - May 09, 2009
- Man abusing Aarushi case judge arrested - Mar 24, 2011
- Checking traffic violations in Srinagar the way Mahatma Gandhi would have (Letter from Srinagar) (With image) - Sep 10, 2012
- Gandhigiri against police inaction - Jan 10, 2010
- Security beefed up in Ranchi after blast threat - Sep 22, 2011
- Fake placement agency busted, three arrested - Jul 29, 2012
- Case against Ghaziabad lawyers for supporting Varun - Apr 02, 2009
- Police arrest betting gang in Ghaziabad - Feb 27, 2011
- Poll results disappointing, shed factionalism: Sonia (Second Lead) - May 09, 2012
- NDA to finalise nominee for vice president Monday - Jul 16, 2012
- Indore man killed for Rs.600 - Feb 26, 2012
- Advani compares 2012 presidential poll to 1969 - Jun 15, 2012
- JNU set for students union polls after 4 years - Feb 29, 2012
- Kejriwal to court arrest - Sep 03, 2012
- Sonia wants rubber stamp president: Swamy - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: chaturvedi, citizen, democracy, election pamphlets, few days, gajendra singh, gandhigiri, kavi, mahatma gandhi, mahesh, members of the parliament, name and address, old man, parliament, police custody, police station, posters, presidential election, presidential elections, regime