Maharashtrians opposed to Thackeray in Uttar PradeshOctober 22nd, 2008 - 7:44 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Oct 22 (IANS) Maharashtrians living here are opposed to Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray, who was arrested and later granted bail for inciting violence against north Indians.In Lucknow, which is home to nearly 300 Maharashtrian families, the community members have termed Thackeray’s act as “dirty” politics to impress a particular section of the society.
“Our constitution cannot accept Thackeray’s act against north Indians. In a country like ours, everyone is free to move in any region of the country in search of livelihood,” Lucknow Maharashtra Samaj (LMS) president J.V. Vashampayan told IANS.
“It is unfortunate that in a country like ours that offer right to equality to everyone, people are being targeted for moving out of their native place to work in other regions dominated by specific communities,” he added.
LMS members feel that there were possibilities of a backlash against Maharashtrians living in northern states, if the government does not take steps to counter attacks on north Indians.
Besides Lucknow, Maharashtrians live in large numbers in Kanpur and Varanasi districts of the state.
- Mayawati flays Raj Thackeray for remarks on migrants - Jul 15, 2011
- MNS to help Maharashtrian youths with railway exam - Feb 02, 2011
- Raj Thackeray warns of riots over anti-Marathi remarks - Nov 03, 2011
- Raj invites political leaders' ire for blaming north Indian migrants for Malaria outbreak - Aug 02, 2010
- Lalu's RJD backs Nitish on Bihar Day in Mumbai - Apr 13, 2012
- Court seeks report on plea against Raj Thackeray - Sep 13, 2012
- Bihar Day: Shiv Sena non-confrontationist, MNS belligerent - Apr 13, 2012
- Raj Thackeray renews attack on north Indian immigrants - Oct 04, 2011
- Raj Thackeray drops protest against Bihar Day event - Apr 13, 2012
- Stone-pelting cases: Raj Thackeray gets bail from Aurangabad court - Feb 09, 2011
- Delhi court issues summons against Raj Thackeray - Aug 30, 2012
- MNS threatens to disrupt shooting of 'Sur-Kshetra' (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Mulayam seeks treason case against Raj Thackeray - Nov 10, 2009
- Thackeray family needs 'Art of Living' course: Ravi Shankar - Feb 04, 2010
- Thakerays are 'infiltrators' in Maharashtra from Bihar: Lalu Prasad - Sep 09, 2012