Maharashtra voting over, turnout could touch 45 percent (Lead)April 30th, 2009 - 7:23 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 30 (IANS) An estimated 45 percent voters exercised their franchise in 10 Lok Sabha constituencies in Maharashtra - spread across Mumbai and Thane - as voting concluded peacefully in the third and final phase Thursday evening, an election department official said.
Despite the presence of top filmstars, industrialists and celebrities, the constituencies spread across Mumbai and Thane notched only around 31 percent voting till 3 p.m., the official said.
Polling started on a very dull note with barely six percent of the electorate casting their votes till 11 a.m. Later, people came out in large numbers and the voting picked up considerably.
Nearly 13.1 million (1.31 crore) voters were eligible to exercise their franchise Thursday. There were 196 candidates, including 17 women, in the fray for the third and final phase of polling in the state.
The constituencies where polling was held are: Mumbai North, Mumbai North-East, Mumbai North-West, Mumbai North-Central, Mumbai South-Central, Mumbai South; Thane, Kalyan, Bhiwandi and Palghar (all in adjoining Thane district.)
- Celebrities aplenty but low turnout in Mumbai, Thane (Second Lead) - Apr 30, 2009
- Voting begins in Maharashtra - Apr 30, 2009
- Filmstars, celebrities queue up to vote in Mumbai (Lead) - Apr 30, 2009
- Mumbai goes to vote in final phase April 30 - Apr 28, 2009
- Bollywood stars in patriotic role - please come out to vote - Apr 30, 2009
- Over 80 percent polling in West Bengal - Apr 23, 2011
- Nominations close in Mumbai, Thane for the last phase - Apr 09, 2009
- Bollywood personalities cast their votes, urge people to join in numbers - Apr 30, 2009
- 59 percent polling in UP - Feb 23, 2012
- Enthusiastic and peaceful polling in West Bengal (Second Lead) - Apr 18, 2011
- Over 84 percent turnout in fourth phase of West Bengal polls - May 03, 2011
- Kashmir holds second phase of panchayat polls - Apr 17, 2011
- Election 2011 begins peacefully with Assam, 66 percent turnout (Roundup) - Apr 04, 2011
- Voters queue up early in Mulayam bastion - Feb 23, 2012
- 74 percent turnout in first phase of West Bengal polls - Apr 18, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,