Maharashtra to rid Pandharpur of manual scavengingJuly 18th, 2012 - 12:10 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 17 (IANS) A day after Bollywood star Aamir Khan met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the plight of manual scavengers, the Maharashtra government Tuesday said it would strictly enforce the ban on the practice in the temple town of Pandharpur in Sholapur district.
The announcement was made by Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan in the state legislature where he assured the house that the curbs on the practice, banned nearly 20 years ago, would be strictly implemented.
Chavan said that a rehabilitation plan would be made for the manual scavangers.
The announcement came a day after nearly 200 manual scavengers from all over Maharashtra staged a demonstration in south Mumbai demanding alternative employment opportunities, social rehabilitation and education for the estimated 35,000 of their ilk in the state.
The issue - which came into national focus after Aamir Khan’s recent TV show “Satyamev Jayate” - was raised in the assembly by Leader of Opposition Eknath Khadse of the Bharatiya Janata Party, who pointed out how manual scavenging continued unhindered in Pandharpur despite the 1993 ban.
The Nationalist Congress Party’s Jitendra Avhad charged the government of not implementing the ban strictly.
- End manual scavenging, say Mumbai protesters - Jul 16, 2012
- 'Draft bill against manual scavenging with stricter provisions in monsoon session' - Jul 16, 2012
- Aamir meets PM, seeks scrapping of manual scavenging - Jul 16, 2012
- Aamir's 'Satyamev...' ends with aplomb - Jul 29, 2012
- Aamir to meet PM on manual scavengers' plight - Jul 15, 2012
- Aamir asks Nitish Kumar to popularise generic medicines - Aug 03, 2012
- 'Satyamev Jayate' grows more popular than Aamir! - May 14, 2012
- Apologize, doctors tell Aamir Khan - May 30, 2012
- Aamir's 'Satyamev Jayate' top five trends on Twitter - May 06, 2012
- Aamir meets PM, seeks scrapping of manual scavenging (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- 'Satyamev Jayate' official site crashes - May 06, 2012
- Parliamentary panel invites Aamir for inputs on medical issues - Jun 18, 2012
- 'Satyamev Jayate' in copyright trouble with Euphoria - May 07, 2012
- Aamir Khan to meet Gehlot over female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- 'Satyamev Jayate' first episode marks 90 mn viewership - May 16, 2012
Tags: aamir khan, bharatiya janata party, bollywood star, chavan, jitendra, leader of opposition, maharashtra government, manmohan, manmohan singh, manual scavengers, national focus, nationalist congress party, pandharpur, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, recent tv, rehabilitation plan, social rehabilitation, south mumbai, temple town