Maharashtra plans low-cost houses for Mumbai mill workersMay 1st, 2012 - 1:55 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 1 (IANS) As Maharashtra turned 52 Tuesday, the government said it would provide low-cost housing to mill workers and free houses to kin of mill workers who died during struggle for a state for Marathi-speaking people.
“The government has decided to provide 6,948 houses to mill workers at reduced and affordable rates, at Rs.7,50,000 in multi-storeyed buildings. The government will also give free houses to the survivors of the mill workers who lost their lives in the Samyukta Maharashtra Movement,” Governor K. Sankaranarayanan said at a function held to mark the state’s 52nd anniversary here.
He spoke about the government’s initiatives and said the drought in the state was being tackled on war footing.
the governor said the state soon would have national investment and manufacturing zones, a youth and sports policy and a sports university.
He also spoke about the new Maharashtra Housing (Regulation & Development) Act, 2012.
Maharashtra’s 52nd anniversary coincides with the birth centenary of the state’s first chief minister Y.B. Chavan and the International Labour Day or May Day.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar and other ministers attended the function.
They also paid floral tributes at Hutatma Chowk, a martyrs’ memorial in south Mumbai - a monument raised in memory of those people who died during the 1950s movement demanding that a state for Marathi-speaking people be carved out from the State of Bombay and incorporate all neighbouring Marathi-speaking regions.
- Chavan to meet PM on Ambedkar memorial, boundary row - Dec 29, 2011
- Maharashtra locks horns with Karnataka on boundary row - Jul 13, 2012
- Chavan meets Sonia on Ambedkar memorial, Belgaum - Dec 30, 2011
- People fed up of corruption: Maharashtra governor - Mar 12, 2011
- Maharashtra assembly supports Marathi-speaking people of Karnataka - Apr 12, 2012
- Thackerays seek urgent end to Maharashtra-Karnataka boundary row - Dec 19, 2011
- Maharashtra wants Belgaum to be declared union territory (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Golden jubilee of Maharashtra celebrated with enthusiasm - May 01, 2010
- Marathi speaking areas of Karnataka should be declared Union Territory: Chavan - Jul 13, 2010
- Maharashtra's golden jubilee celebrated with enthusiasm (Lead) - May 01, 2010
- Veteran freedom fighter Naikwadi is dead - Mar 22, 2012
- Maharashtra Congress delegation meets Sonia Gandhi over Belgaum issue - Jul 17, 2010
- Chavan meets PM over Belgaum dispute - Jul 14, 2010
- Uddhav Thackeray meets president on row over Belgaum - Dec 20, 2011
- Chavan meets PM over Belgaum dispute (Lead, superseding previous story) - Jul 14, 2010
Tags: 1950s, ajit pawar, bombay, chavan, deputy chief minister, development act, drought, floral tributes, free houses, international labour day, labour day, low cost houses, low cost housing, martyrs, may 1, may day, national investment, neighbouring, sankaranarayanan, south mumbai