Maharashtra opposition creates ruckus, assembly adjourned (Lead)July 9th, 2012 - 10:18 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 9 (IANS) Opposition parties stalled proceedings in the Maharashtra assembly over a number of issues on the first day of the monsoon session here Monday.
Getting off to a stormy start, the opposition created noisy scenes inside and outside the legislature, finally forcing it to be adjourned for the day.
Among other things, the opposition members vociferously demanded a discussion on the June 21 Mantralaya blaze which killed five people, the Maharashtra-Karnataka boundary dispute, female foeticide and other issues.
Speaker Dilip Walse-Patil assured that the Mantralaya fire would be taken up for discussion Tuesday, but the members did not relent.
Chief Minsiter Prithviraj Chavan intervened to say that the government was ready for a full-fledged discussion on the fire, covering all points, but Leader of Opposition Eknath Khadse demanded a discussion Monday itself under Rule 97 of the House.
The Speaker adjourned the house for 15 minutes and he invited various party group leaders for a discussion on the issue in his chamber.
After it reassembled, the opposition continued to insist on a discussion Monday itself, after which the house was adjourned for an hour. As the ruckus continued, Walse-Patil finally adjourned it for the rest of the day.
Before the proceedings began, the combined Opposition members of both houses of the legislature made their intentions clear by raising loud slogans, waving posters and banners and marching to the Chhatrapati Shivaji statue and later squatting on the steps of the Vidhan Bhavan complex.
- Mumbai Police to probe CAG report leak - Apr 17, 2012
- Assembly adjourned over free homes for mill workers - Jul 28, 2011
- Farmers' issues rock Maharashtra assembly - Dec 12, 2011
- Anti-TDP slogans raised in Maharashtra house - Jul 19, 2010
- 14 Shiv Sena, BJP legislators in Maharashtra suspended for year - Mar 30, 2012
- Maharashtra assembly supports Marathi-speaking people of Karnataka - Apr 12, 2012
- Opposition continues boycott of Maharashtra assembly - Mar 28, 2011
- Pune deaths: Maharashtra opposition flays government, probe ordered (Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
- Ruckus in Maharashtra assembly over auditor's report - Apr 16, 2012
- Maharashtra legislature pays homage to blast victims - Jul 25, 2011
- 10 Maharashtra ministers guilty of financial lapses: Opposition - Apr 04, 2012
- Shiv Sena, BJP boycott Maharshtra assembly over suspensions - Mar 25, 2011
- Maharashtra to table terror probe panel report - Dec 14, 2009
- Maharashtra assembly adjourned over CVC fiasco - Mar 15, 2011
- Maharashtra opposition flays Pune police firing deaths - Aug 09, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,