Maharashtra minister on the run as court cancels bailAugust 7th, 2012 - 6:06 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 7 (IANS) Maharashtra Minister of State for Transport Gulabrao Deokar of the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) is on the run after the Bombay High Court cancelled his bail in a case of housing scam.
Deokar is reportedly untraceable for the past two days, and has not been seen at his residence in Mumbai or Jalgaon district in north Maharashtra.
The minister of state for transport is allegedly involved in a housing scam for construction of 11,000 low-cost houses in Jalgaon. The high court cancelled his bail Monday.
The NCP had sought Deokar’s resignation over the issue. “Deokar has submitted his resignation from the post and it has been forwarded to Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, who will take further action,” state NCP president Madhukar Pichad told IANS Tuesday.
In May this year, Jalgaon police arrested Deokar for the scam. He was, however, released on bail on a surety of Rs.30,000.
The scam is suspected to be to the tine of nearly Rs.50 crore. The low-cost housing project for the poor never took off, but massive funds were allegedly given to a builder.
So far, 38 people, including former housing minister and Shiv Sena legislator Suresh Jain, have been arrested. Jain was arrested in March.
As many as 25 former corporators were also arrested Saturday. Of these, 15 were granted bail, while the rest were remanded in police custody.
- NCP minister arrested for housing scam, resigns - May 21, 2012
- SC breather for Maharashtra transport minister - Aug 07, 2012
- Police to quiz ex-minister held in housing scam - Mar 11, 2012
- Maharashtra NCP chief's son dies in freak accident - Oct 31, 2011
- Shiv Sena leader calls Hazare 'Taliban Gandhi' - Aug 06, 2011
- Dial-an-auto soon in Maharashtra - Apr 03, 2012
- Maharashtra leaders condole Deshmukh's death - Aug 14, 2012
- On poll-eve, ex-MP and Hingoli Congress chief joins NCP - Jan 28, 2012
- Maharashtra government will be under pressure in budget session - Mar 14, 2012
- 2G: Apex court grants bail to Behura (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Maharashtra government set to face opposition ire - Jul 08, 2012
- Sharad Pawar's birthday to be celebrated with social events - Dec 11, 2010
- Speculation rife on Mumbai police commissioner's transfer - Aug 22, 2012
- Realty sector sore with union budget - Mar 16, 2012
- Seven get bail in Adarsh scam (Lead) - May 29, 2012
Tags: ajit pawar, bombay high court, deputy chief minister, housing minister, jain, jalgaon, legislator, low cost houses, low cost housing, low cost housing project, madhukar, minister of state, nationalist congress party, ncp, north maharashtra, police custody, resignation, rs 50, surety, tine