Maharashtra may ban controversial book on GandhiMarch 30th, 2011 - 12:06 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 29 (IANS) The Maharashtra government Tuesday indicated that it would take steps to ban “Great Soul - Mahatma Gandhi and his Struggles with India”, penned by Pulitzer prize-winning journalist Joseph Lelyveld.
The book, authored by a former executive editor of the New York Times, reportedly has certain objectionable references to Gandhi and portrays the Father of the Nation in a poor light.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said he has already spoken to the central government on the issue.
When the issue figured in the Maharashtra Legislative Council, Industries Minister Narayan Rane said: “The government will initiate steps to ensure that the book is not published in the state.”
“Gandhiji was a respected leader and is known as the Father of the Nation. He led the freedom movement of India,” Rane pointed out, saying the state government would write to the central government seeking a ban on its publication here.
Condemning the book, Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) president Manikrao Thakre said it has maligned the image of Mahatma Gandhi.
“This is very serious matter that the author of the book has raised questions about the character of Gandhiji who initiated the non-violence movement. I condemn the book and it should not be made available,” Thakre said.
Council chairman Shivajirao Deshmukh said that the government should enquire into the matter in detail and take appropriate action.
- Gujarat bans controversial book on Gandhi - Mar 30, 2011
- Gujarat bans book on Gandhi, Modi calls it perverse (Lead) - Mar 30, 2011
- Nepal's gay icon champions Gandhi in book row - Apr 08, 2011
- Gandhi will remain an inspiration: Nepal's gay icon (Lead) - Apr 08, 2011
- Sonia to select Mumbai, Maharashtra Congress chiefs - Sep 14, 2010
- Gujarat Govt. bans controversial book on Mahatma Gandhi - Mar 30, 2011
- Congress lawmaker hails Sonia after taking oath - Jul 31, 2012
- Congress marks 'Quit India' movement's 70th anniversary - Aug 10, 2012
- Bi-weekly public courts for Maharashtra's Congress ministers - Jun 29, 2010
- Tripura school book drops Mahatma, Congress plans fast - May 24, 2011
- A generation that wants to 'know the Mahatma' - Oct 02, 2011
- Tripura to include more details on Mahatma in text books - May 25, 2011
- Mahatma Gandhi inspired millions to unite for cause of freedom, independence: President Patil - Oct 01, 2010
- A children's book that sheds light on Gandhi - Oct 02, 2011
- 1,100 convicts write Gandhi exam in jails - Oct 02, 2011
Tags: central government, chavan, chief minister, congress committee, controversial book, council chairman, deshmukh, executive editor, freedom movement, industries minister, journalist joseph, legislative council, maharashtra government, mahatma gandhi, mpcc, narayan rane, new york times, prithviraj, pulitzer prize, state government