Maharashtra legislator to ‘beg’ from people!September 25th, 2010 - 9:10 pm ICT by IANS
Thane, Sep 25 (IANS) In a unique protest, an independent legislator from Maharashtra will “beg” and donate the collected money to Chief Minister Ashok Chavan, an aide of the legislator said here Saturday.
Vivek Pandit, the independent legislator of the Vasai legislative constituency, has adopted this move demanding exclusion of 18 villages from the newly-formed Vasai-Virar Municipal Corporation (VVMC), said co-ordinator of the Shramjeevi Sanghatana Nalla Sopara (SSNS) Navin Dube.
“From Sunday (tomorrow), we shall ‘beg’ for a token donation of Re.1 at important locations in the Vasai legislative constituency like bus stops, temples, churches, markets, etc., followed by railway stations like Virar, Nalla Sopara, Vasai and Naigaon Monday,” Dube said.
Pandit said that hundreds of people would march Oct 2 from Vasai to Varsha, the chief minister’s official residence in south Mumbai and hand over the collected amount to Chavan two days later.
Explaining the rationale behind the drive, Pandit said that generally, after any eclipse (lunar or solar), people make small donations.
“We feel that there is a ‘political eclipse’ over Vasai. We want it to end soon and so we are going to beg from the people and hand over the money to the chief minister,” he said.
He said that for nearly two years, the people have been demanding exclusion of 53 villages from the VVMC and the Shramjeevi Sanghata Nalla Sopara has carried out several agitations.
The state government agreed to exclude 35 villages, but there was no progress on the status of the remaining 18 villages, barely 40 km to the north of Mumbai.
- Chavan seeks 10 days to look into Vasai villagers' demand (Lead) - Oct 02, 2010
- Chavan calls Vasai marchers for talks - Oct 02, 2010
- Coastal villagers marching to Maharashtra assembly over demands - Apr 18, 2011
- Shutdown in Vasai against arrest of lawmaker - Apr 11, 2010
- Thane villagers end stir after Chavan's assurance (Lead) - Mar 05, 2010
- Thane legislator to go on hunger strike again - Apr 13, 2010
- Protesting villagers caned in Thane - Mar 05, 2010
- P.T.Usha named brand ambassador for Vasai-Virar Marathon - Sep 16, 2011
- Angry villagers attack MP, legislator near Mumbai - Aug 10, 2009
- Mumbai-Ahmedabad traffic hit as villagers revive agitation - Apr 10, 2010
- Political activist dies after arrest - Jan 12, 2011
- 10,000 run in Maharashtra marathon for girl child - Sep 18, 2011
- Local trains hit as rains lash Mumbai - Aug 29, 2011
- Maharashtra village honours cop with 'Gen. Dyer Award'! (With Images) - Mar 07, 2010
- Bahujan Vikas Agadhi wins Vasai-Virar civic polls - May 31, 2010
Tags: ashok, bus stops, chief minister, churches, co ordinator, constituency, donations, dube, eclipse, legislator, money, navin, protest, railway stations, rationale, south mumbai, state government, temples, token donation, vvmc