Maharashtra governor, chief minister mourn Surjeet’s deathAugust 1st, 2008 - 10:34 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 1 (IANS) Maharashtra Governor S.C. Jamir and Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh Friday expressed grief over the death of veteran communist leader Harkishan Singh Surjeet. Surjeet, 92, died Friday at the Metro Hospital in Noida after a prolonged illness. In a message, Jamir said Surjeet “was a frontline communist leader of India who played a significant role in the national politics of the country for more than six decades”.
A freedom fighter, farmers’ leader and an organization man, Surjeet remained committed to the ideals and philosophy of communism all this life, he said.
Jamir noted that as general secretary of the Communist Party of India-Marxist, Surjeet was instrumental in the formation of various coalition governments at the centre. In his demise, the nation has lost a grand patriarch of national politics.
Deshmukh said in the death of Surjeet, the nation has lost a man of great stature, an astute politician and a front-ranking leader of coalition politics.
- Veteran socialist leader Mrinal Gore dead (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Communist icon Jyoti Basu, who almost became India's PM, is dead (Intro Roundup) - Jan 17, 2010
- Mumbai mourns for Sathya Sai Baba - Apr 24, 2011
- PM pays homage to Jyoti Basu - Jan 18, 2010
- Five-time Nagaland chief minister loses by-poll - May 13, 2011
- Two years after death, Jyoti Basu still CPI-M mascot (Lead, correcting para nine) - Feb 19, 2012
- Communist icon Jyoti Basu, who almost became India's PM, is dead (Roundup) - Jan 17, 2010
- Indian leaders mourn Jyoti Basu' death - Jan 17, 2010
- Two years after death, Jyoti Basu still CPI-M mascot - Feb 19, 2012
- Nation mourns Jyoti Basu's death (Roundup) - Jan 17, 2010
- New Congress Working Committee announced - Mar 04, 2011
- Maharashtra politicos condole Bhimsen Joshi's death - Jan 24, 2011
- Communist patriarch Jyoti Basu dies at 95 (Third Lead) - Jan 17, 2010
- Political leaders pay tribute to Rajesh Khanna - Jul 18, 2012
- Advani to attend Basu's funeral in Kolkata - Jan 17, 2010
Tags: chief minister, coalition governments, coalition politics, communism, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, demise, freedom fighter, general secretary, grand patriarch, grief, jamir, maharashtra, national politics, noida, organization man, politician, stature, veteran communist leader, vilasrao deshmukh