Maharashtra court extends Raj Thackeray’s bail till Nov 11October 24th, 2008 - 10:02 pm ICT by IANS
Kalyan (Maharashtra), Oct 24 (IANS) Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) leader Raj Thackeray got a further breather Friday when a court here extended his anticipatory bail till Nov 11, a party office-bearer said.On Wednesday, Sessions Judge K.K. Tantrapal in this toen near Mumbai had granted Raj relief for two days in a case pertaining to attacks on people who had come to appear for railway recruitment examinations.
The relief had been granted in a separate case registered by the Government Railway Police (GRP); which was further extended by 18 days till Nov 11.
The judge rejected special public prosecutor Rohini Salian’s contention that Raj was required to remain present in the court since the MNS leader had sought exemption from personal appearance.
A decision will be taken on this at the next hearing, which will enable Raj to spend Diwali with his family, the office-bearer said.
The MNS is also in the process of moving the Bombay High Court seeking further relief in all the cases registered against Raj by police in Mumbai and Thane in which he has already secured bail, MNS spokesman Vageesh Saraswat told IANS this evening.
Raj was arrested from a guest house in Ratnagiri, around 250 km south of Mumbai Tuesday.
His arrest - and subsequently spending a night in Dombivli police lock-up - sparked off unrest and violence in several parts of Maharashtra.
Meanwhile, violent anti-MNS agitations broke out in Bihar.
- Stone-pelting cases: Raj Thackeray gets bail from Aurangabad court - Feb 09, 2011
- Raj Thackeray gets bail - Feb 05, 2011
- Raj Thackeray drops protest against Bihar Day event - Apr 13, 2012
- Thackeray returns home after bail, supporters jubilant (Roundup) - Oct 22, 2008
- Lalu slams Nitish for 'bowing' before Raj Thackeray - Apr 16, 2012
- Raj Thackeray admits dilemma over picking candidates - Jan 27, 2012
- MNS, SP to contest all BMC seats - Jan 09, 2012
- MNS to help Maharashtrian youths with railway exam - Feb 02, 2011
- Court gives bail to nine in 2006 Malegaon blasts case - Nov 05, 2011
- Vilasrao should resign: Maharashtra opposition - Apr 05, 2012
- Raj Thackeray gets bail in rioting cases, hours after surrender - Feb 25, 2010
- MNS exam plan makes civic candidates jittery - Nov 29, 2011
- Mumbai writer to release Hindi book in Tashkent (With IMAGES) - Jun 22, 2012
- Boycott Naidu, other TDP leaders: MNS - Jul 20, 2010
- Salman gets relief in poaching case - Feb 21, 2011