Maharashtra Congress ties up with Dalit partyJanuary 29th, 2012 - 6:04 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 29 (IANS) The Congress has joined hands with a Dalit party, Bharatiya Republican Party-Bahujan Mahasangh (BRPBM), ahead of the next month’s civic and zila parishad polls in Maharashtra, leaders of the two parties said here Sunday.
The BRPBM, which broke away from the Republican Party of India in 1999, is led by three-time MP Prakash Ambedkar, grandson of Dalit icon B.R. Ambedkar.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, state Congress president Manikrao Thakre and BRPBM president Ambedkar made a joint declaration on the alliance at a press conference.
“The Congress shall have an understanding with the BRPBM for all the 27 zila parishads and 300 panchayat samitis for next month’s (Feb 7) elections,” Chavan said.
Thakre said that talks were currently underway with the BRPBM for finalising the alliance for elections to ten municipal corporations scheduled Feb 16.
“We have decided to form this alliance to give ‘a fitting reply’ to communal forces in the state,” Ambedkar said.
The new coalition is expected to pose a serious challenge to the opposition Shiv Sena-Bharatiya Janata Party-Republican Party of India alliance formed two months ago.
The Ramdas Athawale-led Republican Party of India had broken away from its old ally, the Sharad Pawar-led Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), to team up with the saffron alliance mid-2011.
The Congress-BRPBM alliance could also challenge the NCP, a partner of the Congress in the state government.
- NCP wants Dadar station renamed Chaityabhoomi - Jun 10, 2011
- NCP wants Mumbai station named after Ambedkar - May 30, 2011
- Ambedkar Jayanti celebrated; Dalits stage sit-in (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- Maharashtra readies for Rajya Sabha race - Mar 05, 2012
- Ambedkar memorial work to be speeded up, says PM - Aug 18, 2012
- Maharashtra Congress goes into huddle over NCP's stance - Jul 23, 2012
- Pawar criticises RPI's alliance with BJP, Shiv Sena - Jun 10, 2011
- Maharashtra opposition parties plan rally Thursday - Jun 08, 2011
- Dalits angry with derogatory Ambedkar cartoon: Athawale (With Image) - Apr 03, 2012
- Change in Maharashtra too after next polls: Bal Thackeray - May 13, 2011
- Congress, NCP ally to dislodge saffron combine from BMC - Jan 11, 2012
- Raj speaks up for estranged uncle Bal Thackeray - Jun 01, 2011
- Congress misleading on Ambedkar memorial, Thackeray warns Dalits - Jan 02, 2012
- Congress, NCP tie up for Maharashtra civic polls - Nov 23, 2011
- Shiv Sena-BJP-RPI triumphs in Mumbai, Thane civic polls; MNS gains (Intro Roundup) - Feb 17, 2012
Tags: ally, b r ambedkar, bharatiya janata party, chavan, chief minister, communal forces, congress president, jan 29, maharashtra, municipal corporations, nationalist congress party, prakash, prithviraj, ramdas, republican party, saffron alliance, sharad pawar, state congress, state government, zila parishad