Madan Lal fails to get Congress ticket from HimachalApril 3rd, 2009 - 1:37 am ICT by IANS
Shimla, April 3 (IANS) Former cricketer Madan Lal failed to get the Congress ticket for Himachal Pradesh’s Hamirpur parliamentary constituency as the party high command Thursday decided to allot it to Narinder Thakur, a former Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader who joined the party recently.
The Congress had earlier announced the candidature of Madan Lal, who was facing trouble as senior state leaders, including former chief minister Virbhadra Singh, came out openly against his nomination.
The state’s ruling BJP has announced Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal’s son and sitting MP Anurag Thakur as its contestant from Hamirpur, which the party considers its stronghold.
“The party has now decided to give the party ticket to Thakurji (Narinder Thakur) as Madan Lal is not well,” said Himachal Congress Committee president Kaul Singh Thakur.
“It’s the decision of the party high command, we respect it. We were respecting its earlier decision too (on the candidature of Madan Lal),” he said. “Moreover, Madan Lal is in hospital due to some heart problem.”
Sources in the party said the decision regarding Madan Lal was due to the victory of the group led by five-time former chief minister Virbhadra Singh.
Virbhadra Singh, candidate from the Mandi seat, charged “certain vested interests” within the party of being hand-in-glove with Chief Minister Dhumal and helping him by fielding a weak candidate against his son.
“I would personally request the party high command to reconsider its decision regarding allotment of the ticket to Madan Lal,” Virbhadra Singh had said.
He held Congress Legislature Party leader Vidya Stokes, legislators G.S. Bali and Sukvinder Sukhu and Minister of State for External Affairs Anand Sharma responsible for fielding Madan Lal.
Reacting to Narinder Thakur being given the ticket, a senior Congress leader said: “Madan Lal has returned from the pitch (electoral battle) as retired hurt.”
- More trouble for ex cricketer Madan Lal in Himachal - Mar 26, 2009
- Himachal Congress legislators knock on Sonia's door (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Apr 22, 2012
- Congress legislators want seniors to come together (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Apr 08, 2012
- Announce chief minister candidates early: Virbhadra - Apr 10, 2012
- Congress appoints Virbhadra campaign committee chief for Himachal elections - Jul 17, 2012
- Sink differences over ticket to Madan Lal, Congress cadre told - Mar 28, 2009
- Congress assures sulking Virbhadra of larger say in candidate selection (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Congress tries to mollify sulking Virbhadra - Jul 27, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh appointed Congress' Himachal chief - Aug 29, 2012
- Virbhadra determined to steer assembly poll (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Aug 03, 2012
- Virbhadra moves to grab reins of power (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Apr 15, 2012
- Himachal Congress tries to put house in order (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Apr 28, 2012
- Anxiety in BJP over move to make Virbhadra Himachal Congress chief (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Aug 25, 2012
- Nothing to do with Virbhadra episode, says BJP - Jun 26, 2012
- Himachal Congress gives 'charge sheet' against BJP regime - Aug 23, 2012
Tags: anurag, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, chief minister, committee president, congress committee, congress leader, congress legislature party, cricketer, electoral battle, hand in glove, heart problem, himachal pradesh, kaul, madan lal, parliamentary constituency, party ticket, shimla, state leaders, sukhu