Madagascar military hands power to RajoelinaMarch 18th, 2009 - 7:12 am ICT by IANS
Johannesburg, March 18 (DPA) The military team to whom Madagascar’s President Marc Ravalomanana handed power has transferred that power to opposition leader Andry Rajoelina, who is calling himself president, reports said Tuesday.
The BBC and Malagasy news sites reported that Navy Vice-Admiral Hippolyte Ramaroson Rarison told a press conference that the military team was giving Rajoelina power to become president of a transitional authority.
“We have categorically rejected the authority that Ravalomanana asked us to set up after his resignation,” Ramaroson Rarison was quoted as saying.
Earlier, the opposition said that the Army had arrested the vice-admiral and the other military leaders, accusing them of being the president’s accomplices.
Rajoelina, who was installed in the president’s vacant city-centre offices Monday with the support of the Army, is hoping that Madagascar’s Constitutional Court will sanction his power grab and entrust him with forming an interim government.
He has promised to hold elections within two years.
Ravalomanana’s whereabouts are unknown following his departure from office. The US embassy in Antananarivo has denied providing him with sanctuary.
- Madagascar president surrenders powers to military (Lead) - Mar 17, 2009
- Rajoelina formally takes over as Madagascar president - Mar 21, 2009
- Madagascar's Rajoelina confirmed as interim president (Lead) - Mar 18, 2009
- Army officers claim coup d'etat during constitutional referendum in Madagascar - Nov 18, 2010
- Madagascar's Rajoelina in a corner after AU suspension for 'coup' (Lead) - Mar 20, 2009
- Southern African group rejects Madagascar's new leader - Mar 20, 2009
- Tense calm in Madagascar after military attack on presidency - Mar 17, 2009
- Madagascar to send seven athletes to London Olympics - Jul 19, 2012
- Curfew clamped in Madagascar capital as riots continue - Jan 28, 2009
- Indian Air Force chief begins Bangladesh trip - Mar 18, 2012
- French envoy to Madagascar survives plane crash - May 11, 2011
- Medvedev replaces Russian Navy commander - May 07, 2012
- CAG slams military, political leadership for Adarsh scam - Aug 09, 2011
- 65 killed in cyclone Irina in Madagascar - Mar 06, 2012
- Ex-defence, political leaders slammed by CAG for Adarsh scam (Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
Tags: accomplices, andry, antananarivo, bbc, constitutional court, interim government, johannesburg, madagascar, malagasy, marc ravalomanana, military leaders, military team, navy, news sites, opposition leader, resignation, sanctuary, transitional authority, us embassy, vice admiral