Lukewarm response to Team Anna fast on Day FourJuly 28th, 2012 - 3:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 28 (IANS) Day Four of Team Anna’s indefinite fast against corruption at Jantar Mantar here got off to a slow start Saturday with thin crowds and leaders of the movement themselves missing in the morning hours.
Anna Hazare with his close aide Kumar Vishwas and Kiran Bedi came to the fast venue only at 10.30 a.m.
in a lukewarm response to the movement, around 400 people gathered till 12 noon, contrary to the thousands that the nation witnessed at Team Anna’s earlier agitations at Jantar Mantar or Ramlila ground.
Even news channels have not carried reports from the venue of the fast since morning, which has so far failed to evoke any response from the capital’s dwellers.
On Saturday, about 200 people are fasting with the Team Anna members.
Three protestors were taken to hospital after they complained of uneasiness.
Maniram, 90, from Agra who too was fasting in support of the hunger strike by Team Anna members, was rushed to hospital after his blood pressure slipped low.
Maniram said: “This fight is bigger than fight for Independence. That fight was against outsiders, the white men. However, this fight is against our own men.”
Jamna prasad, 90, from Mumbai was also taken to hospital after he compained of weakness.
Team Anna members began their indefinite fast July 25 at Jantar Mantar to press for a stringent Jan Lokpal bill and demanding an inquiry into allegations of corruption against over a dozen ministers, including President Pranab Mukherjee when he was the finance minister.
Anna Hazare is likely to join the fast Sunday after his four-day ultimatum to the government ends.
Team Anna has got permission to fast at Jantar Mantar till Aug 8, the day the monsoon session of parliament is expected to begin.
- Hazare begins indefinite fast - Jul 29, 2012
- Thin crowds on second day of Team Anna fast - Jul 26, 2012
- Hazare begins fast, demands passage of Jan Lokpal bill (Evening Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Government cheated us: Hazare (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Jan Lokpal is thrust of our movement: Anna (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- No talks if fasting protesters forcefully removed: Anna Hazare (Second Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- NSUI protests at Team Anna fast venue - Jul 25, 2012
- Team Anna supporters gather in Jantar Mantar - Jul 25, 2012
- Government trying to break Team Anna, says Hazare (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Prominent citizens appeal to Team Anna to call off fast (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Security beefed up at Hazare's fast venue - Aug 02, 2012
- Crowds swell as Ramdev comes to Team Anna's fast site (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Hazare begins fast, calls for real 'swaraj' (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Team Anna hardens stand, cops want them hospitalised (Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- Youths protest at Team Anna fast, claim to be from NSUI (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: agra, anna hazare, crowds, dozen ministers, finance minister, hunger strike, kiran bedi, lukewarm response, mantar, monsoon session, New Delhi, news channels, outsiders, own men, pranab mukherjee, prasad, protestors, ultimatum, vishwas, white men