Lukewarm response to Gujarat civic pollsOctober 10th, 2010 - 11:54 pm ICT by IANS
Gandhinagar, Oct 10 (IANS) The elections Sunday to six municipal corporations in the state were lacklustre with a turnout of around 45 percent. Both the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the opposition Congress have claimed they would win the polls.
The polls for the municipal corporations of Ahmedabad, Vadodara, Rajkot, Surat, Jamnagar and Bhavnagar were by and large peaceful barring a few minor incidents.
Veteran BJP leader and Lok Sabha MP from the state, L.K. Advani, and Chief Minister Narendra Modi exercised their franchise for the Ahmedabad municipal corporation. Modi casted his ballot at 10.10 a.m. making it a “perfect ten” on “10.10.10″ (Oct 10, 2010).
Expressing concern over the lukewarm response of the voters, Advani said that compulsory voting might be an solution to the problem. The compulsory voting bill, passed by the state assembly for elections to state local bodies and later rejected by the governor, was readopted during the monsoon session last month.
The chief minister was confident that the BJP would emerge victorious in all the six municipal corporations.
State Congress president Siddhartha Patel, on the other hand, also claimed that the results would come in favour of his party.
Currently the BJP is in control of these six corporations, while the seventh in Junagadh is ruled by the Congress.
- BJP sweeps six key civic bodies in Gujarat (Lead) - Oct 12, 2010
- BJP sweeps six key civic bodies in Gujarat (Second Lead) - Oct 12, 2010
- Congress bags Gandhinagar civic body - Apr 21, 2011
- Gujarat panchayat polls announced - Sep 16, 2010
- Six Gujarat municipal corporations go to polls Oct 10 - Sep 10, 2010
- BJP set to sweep Gujarat municipal elections - Oct 12, 2010
- BJP sweeps local bodies polls in Gujarat - Oct 23, 2010
- Congress's Gandhinagar win a dent in Modi's invincibility? (Gujarat Newsletter) - Apr 22, 2011
- BJP sweeps Gujarat local bodies elections (Lead) - Oct 23, 2010
- Gujarat civic, panchayat polls to set tone for 2012 assembly clash - Oct 09, 2010
- BJP wrests Congress bastion in Gujarat (Second Lead) - Sep 17, 2010
- Modi blames Centre for political crisis in Karnataka - Oct 13, 2010
- EVM's reliability challenged in Gujarat court - Oct 15, 2010
- Gujarat civic polls: BJP plea rejected - Sep 27, 2010
- Gujarat capital gets municipal corporation - Mar 16, 2010
Tags: bhavnagar, bjp, chief minister, civic polls, compulsory voting, congress president, jamnagar, junagadh, l k advani, Lok Sabha, lukewarm response, minor incidents, monsoon session, municipal corporations, narendra modi, opposition congress, siddhartha, state assembly, state congress, vadodara