Lucknow painted blue for Kanshi Ram’s birth anniversaryMarch 14th, 2011 - 9:13 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, March 14 (IANS) The Uttar Pradesh capital appeared to have been painted blue on the eve of the 77th birth anniversary of Kanshi Ram, the late founder of the state’s ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) and Chief Minister Mayawati’s political mentor, Tuesday.
The city’s main thoroughfares were flanked by blue hoardings announcing the big event March 15.
Even hoardings carrying advertisements various brands and companies were hijacked for the purpose.
Not only has the sprawling Kanshi Ram Memorial spread across a newly developed 190-acre park been given a blue hue, but even other monuments and statues erected by Mayawati in honour of BSP icons were covered under canopies of blue lights.
Countless buntings, banners and posters can be seen hanging down from every lamp-post along the major thoroughfares, each emboldened with the names of party functionaries sponsoring the display.
However, unlike the big bash on Mayawati’s 55th birthday Jan 15, no public function has been planned on Kanshi Ram’s birth anniversary. Mayawati would offer flowers at the Kanshi Ram memorial at 10 a.m. Tuesday, said an official spokesman.
- Mayawati paints Lucknow blue for Ambedkar anniversary - Apr 13, 2010
- Two 55-kg cakes for Mayawati's birthday Saturday - Jan 15, 2011
- Mayawati woos Muslims, other groups - Dec 17, 2011
- Mayawati issues full-page Buddha Purnima ads in 150 dailies - May 17, 2011
- Thousands gather for Mayawati's rally - Mar 15, 2010
- Mayawati paints Lucknow BSP blue on her birthday - Jan 15, 2010
- Elaborate arrangements made for Mayawati's rally - Mar 14, 2010
- BSP calls Congress anti-Dalit - Oct 16, 2011
- Magic makeover for Lucknow's famed Hazratganj market - Jan 23, 2011
- A bridge that cannot satisfy Mayawati's whims? - Mar 30, 2010
- Mayawati dedicates 484 welfare schemes to Kanshi Ram - Oct 09, 2011
- What's wrong if I install my own statues, asks Mayawati - Mar 15, 2010
- Mayawati hails Kanshi Ram as greatest Dalit messiah - Oct 09, 2009
- Mayawati inaugurates 'dream project', says Congress ignored Dalit icons (Roundup) - Oct 14, 2011
- Now, Mayawati raising force to protect statues - Jan 20, 2010
Tags: acre park, advertisements, birth anniversary, blue hue, bsp, canopies, chief minister, eve, hoardings, honour, kanshi ram, lamp post, Mayawati, monuments, political mentor, samaj, spokesman, statues, thoroughfares, uttar pradesh capital