LTTE a terrorist outfit, no change in position: PMApril 21st, 2009 - 2:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 21 (IANS) The Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) is “a terrorist organisation” and its chief Vellupillai Prabhakaran “a proclaimed offender”, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said Tuesday.
Two days after Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi’s contentious remarks about the LTTE chief being a “friend”, Manmohan Singh said: “The LTTE is a terrorist organisation. Prabhakran is a proclaimed offender. That position has not changed.”
“Tamil Nadu chief minister has clarified his position. The Congress party spokesperson (Kapil Sibal) has explained (the) Congress position,” the prime minister told Times Now television.
Manmohan Singh was reacting to the DMK chief’s controversial remarks in a television interview in which he described Prabhakaran as a “good friend”. Karunanidhi did a U turn Monday saying the LTTE was indeed a terrorist outfit and that his remarks were taken out of context.
Sibal Monday rejected Karunanidhi’s comments as his “personal opinion” and said the Congress views Prabhakaran as a terrorist and the LTTE as an extremist outfit.
The DMK is a key ally of the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA).
- Wrangling normal, secular values must stay: PM (Lead) - Apr 21, 2009
- Uproar in parliament over Sri Lanka's 'war crimes' (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- LTTE chief Prabhakaran not a terrorist: M. Karunanidhi - Apr 19, 2009
- Thousands more flee Sri Lanka war zone, no trace of LTTE chief (Roundup) - Apr 21, 2009
- India asks Sri Lanka to ensure safety of Tamil civilians (Lead) - Apr 21, 2009
- Karunanidhi now says LTTE is terror group - Apr 20, 2009
- Karunanidhi says can't forgive LTTE for killing Rajiv Gandhi - Apr 20, 2009
- AIADMK unhappy with PM over Sri Lanka (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Karunanidhi clarifies - LTTE is terrorist group (Lead) - Apr 20, 2009
- Karunanidhi calls off fast on Sri Lanka - Mar 19, 2012
- Tamil Nadu parties again demand India back US UNHRC resolution - Mar 13, 2012
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- Sparks fly in Tamil Nadu over Sri Lanka (Roundup) - Apr 20, 2009
- Prabhakaran is not a terrorist, asserts Karunanidhi - Apr 19, 2009
- Question of PMK-DMK alliance doesn't arise now: Karunanidhi - Feb 02, 2011
Tags: chief minister, congress party, controversial remarks, dmk chief, kapil sibal, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, ltte chief, m karunanidhi, manmohan, manmohan singh, party spokesperson, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, proclaimed offender, progressive alliance, tamil nadu, television interview, terrorist organisation, vellupillai prabhakaran