Low-key celebrations of Rahul Gandhi’s birthday in DelhiJune 19th, 2009 - 9:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 19 (IANS) With the birthday boy not in town and instructions to keep the affair low key, Congress supporters celebrated party general secretary Rahul Gandhi’s 39th birthday Friday quietly - by cutting a cake and distributing it among the poor.
However, in Uttar Pradesh the jubilant party unit celebrated the day as Samrasta Diwas (social harmony day) and organised ’sahbhoj’ (community feasts) for the poor and Dalits.
The Gandhi scion is considered the architect of the party’s comeback in the northern state, where it won 22 Lok Sabha seats.
Congress workers in Delhi cut a cake weighing 39 kg at the party headquarters and distributed it among the poor and party workers.
“We also celebrated Rahulji’s birthday by distributing sarees to poor women and gave books and school shoes to their children,” Jagdish Sharma, secretary of the Delhi Congress Committee, told IANS.
According to party sources, the Congress workers had been told to refrain from any grand celebrations.
Shakeel Ahmad, Congress spokesperson who came to address the regular briefing at the party headquarters, said he didn’t know where Rahul Gandhi was celebrating his birthday.
“I really don’t know where he is, but I would like to convey my best wishes to him on the occasion,” Ahmad told reporters in answer to a query on where the Gandhi scion was on his birthday.
Party sources said that Gandhi is in London with his friends for a quiet celebration of his birthday.
- Rahul Gandhi dedicates birthday to Uttar Pradesh farmers - Jun 19, 2011
- Community feasts in Uttar Pradesh on Rahul's birthday Friday - Jun 14, 2009
- Jayalalithaa turns 64, AIADMK leaders and cadres celebrate - Feb 24, 2012
- Rahul to evoke Nehru for reviving Congress in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 13, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi's birthday celebrated across Uttar Pradesh - Jun 19, 2009
- Rahul Gandhi's 40th birthday grand affair in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 19, 2010
- Rahul Gandhi turns 39 - Jun 19, 2009
- Upbeat mood in BJP office, gloom in Congress (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Rahul's birthday: Saplings distributed to make Lucknow 'green' - Jun 19, 2009
- Rahul Gandhi indicates major shakeup in Uttar Pradesh Congress - May 02, 2012
- Rahul ready for bigger role, to be No 2 in party (Night Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Chiranjeevi joins Congress - Aug 20, 2011
- PM, other leaders greet Jayalalithaa on birthday (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- Gloom at Congress headquarters after dismal performance - Mar 06, 2012
- Mayawati declares her birthday for the poor - Jan 15, 2010
Tags: ahmad, birthday boy, congress committee, congress supporters, congress workers, delhi congress, general secretary, grand celebrations, harmony day, key congress, lok sabha seats, party headquarters, poor women, quiet celebration, rahul gandhi, sarees, school shoes, scion, social harmony, uttar pradesh