Lovebirds Chand, Fiza send Delhi media in a tizzyDecember 16th, 2008 - 6:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 16 (IANS) A fair amount of PDA - public display of affection - and lots of heated exchanges of words. Mediapersons who turned up in big numbers to meet Haryana lovebirds Chander Mohan, or Chand Mohammad as he calls himself now, and Fiza, who came to the capital Tuesday, were not at all disappointed at what seemed like a Bollywood potboiler unfolding before them.Arriving a good 45 minutes behind schedule, Chander Mohan, who was last week sacked as deputy chief minister of Haryana, and his second wife stepped into the Press Club surrounded by commandos shielding them from the media frenzy.
“We hardly get to see such a big media turnout for events these days,” commented a journalist, watching the scores of cameras following the couple.
“I have done no injustice to anyone. As a politician I served my people and as a family person I have handed all my property to them. Now I don’t even have a roof over my head,” started Chander Mohan, while Fiza - new name for Anuradha Bali - looked on.
While he looked sober in a white kurta-pyjama, she looked ravishing in a black kaftan and churidar.
Things started heating up once questions were being volleyed at them, especially on Islam, the religion they converted to for his second marriage.
Mohan lost his high-profile job and family after he and Bali embraced Islam and got married secretly in Uttar Pradesh’s Meerut city last month.
“I have been inclined to Islam since childhood and have read several books on it. I was attracted to the religion first and Fiza happened later. I didn’t convert for the sake of convenience to marry her,” Mohan said.
Asked why such a late decision then to take up Islam, he refused to comment.
Queried if he could recite any of the important prayers that every Muslim should know - Sura Yasin, Bali retorted with fury.
“You should respect religion. Do you know all the prayers of your religion?” Bali screamed.
“I have every right to defend him. I am his ardhangini (wife),” she added.
Everything, however, quietened once Mohan was asked if he had thought of divorcing his first wife. Bigamy, after all, is not allowed under the Hindu Marriage Act.
“I have not proceeded for divorce from my first wife,” is all he offered.
Coming to politics, Mohan said he would meet Congress chairperson Sonia Gandhi and that he was confident of bouncing back into politics with twice the fervour.
“I will step into politics too, but only if Chander Mohan allows me to,” Bali added.
Holding each other’s hands up in the air and smiling, they then obliged the scores of cameramen buzzing around them.
- Fiza Mohammed found (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Fiza dies in mysterious circumstances (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Fiza cremated in Chandigarh - Aug 07, 2012
- More cash, jewellery comes out of Fiza's lockers - Sep 13, 2012
- Huge cash recovered from Fiza's house - Aug 09, 2012
- Police detain Fiza over neighbour's complaint - Oct 17, 2010
- Fiza arrested on neighbour's complaint, gets bail (Lead) - Oct 17, 2010
- Fiza Mohammed commits suicide - Aug 06, 2012
- Chand does another volte-face, back with Fiza - Jun 14, 2009
- Hooda's ministers not new to crime controversies (News Analysis) - Aug 06, 2012
- Fiza to pursue legal battle against Chander Mohan - Oct 29, 2009
- Chand again Chander Mohan, returns to Hinduism - Jul 28, 2009
- Fiza to move court against Chander Mohan - Sep 25, 2009
- Chander Mohan makes appearance, lashes out at ex-wife - Jun 03, 2009
- Another Chand volte-face, back with Fiza (Lead) - Jun 14, 2009