Lokpal bill in Rajya Sabha later Wednesday: Bansal (Lead)December 28th, 2011 - 1:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 28 (IANS) A day after the Lok Sabha passed the Lokpal Bill, the government Wednesday expressed confidence about bringing the legislation before the Rajya Sabha later Wednesday after President Pratibha Patil gives her nod to the amended version of the bill.
“Hopefully, the Lokpal and the Lokayukta Bill, 2011 will be tabled in the Rajya Sabha this (Wednesday) afternoon,” Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal told reporters.
The government has sent the amended bill, as approved by the Lok Sabha, to the president at her holiday home in Hyderabad for her nod. It is expected to be returned to the government later in the day and then brought before the Rajya Sabha.
Bansal said this was certain. “It cannot be taken up unless Rajya Sabha decides to sit late like we did in the Lok Sabha. Perhaps then it could be passed (in the Rajya Sabha) today (Wednesday). Otherwise, it will be passed tomorrow (Thursday), but it will be taken up for consideration today (Wednesday).”
Minister of State for Personnel V. Narayanasamy had earlier said the Lokpal bill may not be tabled in the Rajya Sabha Wednesday.
- Lokpal bill in Rajya Sabha likely later Wednesday: Bansal (Second Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Lokpal bill in Rajya Sabha likely Wednesday afternoon - Dec 28, 2011
- Lokpal bill in Rajya Sabha Thursday (Third Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Rajya Sabha to take up Lokpal debate Thursday (Third Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- President gives nod to amended Lokpal Bill - Dec 28, 2011
- Government begins efforts to reach consensus on Lokpal bill - May 10, 2012
- Why president's assent was needed for Lokpal bill - Dec 28, 2011
- Government trying for consensus on Lokpal bill - May 14, 2012
- Lokpal Bill alive, to be taken up in budget session: Bansal (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Lokayukta out of Lokpal, bill in Rajya Sabha May 21 - May 15, 2012
- Lokpal in Rajya Sabha, Congress in Trinamool tangle (Roundup) - Dec 28, 2011
- Lokpal bill in budget session: government (Second Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- No certainty about Lokpal bill in monsoon session, says Bansal (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Lokpal bill in monsoon session if panel reports early: Bansal - Aug 03, 2012
- BJP, Congress seek to pin down each other on Lokpal bill fiasco (Intro-Roundup) - Dec 31, 2011
Tags: affairs minister, confidence, holiday home, hyderabad, legislation, Lok Sabha, minister of state, New Delhi, nod, parliamentary affairs, pawan kumar, president pratibha patil, rajya sabha, wednesday afternoon