Lokpal bill can be amended 80 percent: SinghviAugust 22nd, 2011 - 10:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 22 (IANS) A parliamentary panel examining the Lokpal bill can amend it up to 80 percent and all stakeholders should “show flexibility” on the issue, the panel’s head and Congress spokesman Abhishek Manu Singhvi said Monday.
The panel “can amend the government’s bill by up to 80 percent of its original version,” Singhvi, who heads the Parliamentary Standing Committee on personnel, public grievances and law and justice, told reporters here.
The panel “is open to all suggestions. A reasonable solution can still be found,” he said when asked about the August 30 deadline set by Team Anna to pass its version of the Lokpal bill.
“Everything cannot be decided on the basis of deadlines,” Singhvi said, adding: “It is important to show flexibility by moving away from timelines. There is need for restraint and discipline from all sides.”
He hoped the bill could be debated in the winter session of parliament in November-December.
“We will try to ensure that we give recommendations on the Lokpal bill well before the three-month period given to us… so it’s ready for introduction in the next (winter) session,” Singhvi said.
- Fasting Hazare open to talks, but with riders - Aug 23, 2011
- Congress calls for flexibility on Lokpal issue (Lead) - Aug 22, 2011
- House panel may complete work on Lokpal bill soon: Singhvi - Nov 06, 2011
- Dalits push their version of Lokpal bill - Oct 15, 2011
- Government, Team Anna hold talks, PM promises 'best possible' Lokpal bill (Intro Roundup) - Aug 23, 2011
- Lokpal panel to meet Sep 7 to decide on time limit: Singhvi - Aug 29, 2011
- Congress appeals for flexibility on Lokpal bill - Aug 23, 2011
- Lokpal panel should be allowed to do good job: Singhvi - Oct 04, 2011
- Wrong to put timelines for Lokpal panel: Singhvi (Lead) - Nov 08, 2011
- Lokpal bill may come up in parliament in November - Aug 28, 2011
- Lokpal panel likely to finalise report Nov 30 - Nov 28, 2011
- Lokpal panel hears Aruna Roy - Sep 23, 2011
- PM ready for 'give and take' as Hazare continues fast (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2011
- Team Anna wants conduct of MPs in Lokpal Bill - Nov 03, 2011
- Congress core group meets again on FDI, no resolution - Dec 01, 2011
Tags: congress spokesman, discipline, flexibility, law and justice, manu, New Delhi, original version, parliament, parliamentary panel, parliamentary standing committee, public grievances, reasonable solution, stakeholders, timelines, winter session