Lokayukta wants another Uttar Pradesh minister to goOctober 4th, 2011 - 11:28 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Oct 4 (IANS) After getting two ministers sacked, Uttar Pradesh Lokayukta Justice (retd) N.K. Mehrotra Tuesday recommended removal of yet another minister facing charges of large scale corruption and of amassing wealth far disproportionate to his legitimate sources of income.
“Secondary Education Minister Rangnath Misra has been found to be indulging in large scale corruption, bribery and amassing huge assets. He therefore deserves to be removed from the state council of ministers,” Mehrotra told media persons here.
In his report sent to Chief Minister Mayawati, the Lokayukta has said: “While several charges against him have already been proved, there were certain allegations about him having acquired assets in Uttarakhand and in Mumbai, which merit further investigation by a central agency like the CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation); but it is important that he is removed from the council of ministers before that so that he cannot continue to influence such investigation.”
Drawing the chief minister’s attention to the irregularities committed by the minister, the Lokayukta said that “a preliminary inquiry carried out by us has clearly established that the minister had made illegal money in appointment of teachers and other staff in the departments under him”.
“We also have reason to believe that the minister indulged in blatant misuse of his constituency fund,” he said.
Mayawati has earlier sacked two ministers indicted by the Lokayukta, who confirmed their involvement in financial irregularities and corrupt practices. These were Avadhpal Singh Yadav, who was dairy development and animal husbandry minister and Rajesh Tripathi, minister of state for religious endowments.
Three more ministers of the Mayawati government are also being investigated by the Lokayukta.
- Mayawati sacks two more ministers on graft charges - Oct 05, 2011
- Mayawati's key confidante under Lokayukta's scanner - Dec 13, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh minister resigns after Lokayukta's rap - Aug 17, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh Lok Ayukta recommends removal of 'corrupt' minister - Aug 16, 2011
- Minister withdraws plea against Lokayukta - Sep 10, 2011
- Akhilesh orders probe against former UP power minister - Jun 02, 2012
- Sack minister indicted by Lok Ayukta, Congress tells Mayawati - Nov 29, 2011
- Mayawati rules out CBI probe against trusted minister - Feb 27, 2012
- Former BSP minister's supporters threaten UP Lokayukta - May 07, 2012
- Akhilesh against bringing chief minister's post under Lokayukta - Apr 26, 2012
- Mayawati sacks minister indicted by ombudsman - Dec 26, 2010
- Mayawati demands representation of SCs, OBCs in Lokpal - Aug 26, 2011
- Whistleblower hounded by Uttar Pradesh minister - Sep 15, 2011
- Justice after nine years, says Mayawati - Jul 06, 2012
- Deve Gowda's yet another son faces probe over assets - Sep 24, 2011
Tags: animal husbandry, blatant misuse, bribery, central bureau of investigation, chief minister, corrupt practices, council of ministers, dairy development, education minister, financial irregularities, illegal money, legitimate sources, media persons, mehrotra, minister of state, misra, preliminary inquiry, uttar pradesh minister, uttarakhand, yadav