Lokayukta out of Lokpal, bill in Rajya Sabha May 21May 15th, 2012 - 9:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 15 (IANS) The government has agreed to separate provisions for appointing Lokayuktas in states from the Lokpal bill and is likely to bring the legislation in the Rajya Sabha May 21, informed sources said Tuesday.
The sources said the government has also agreed to drop a provision to remove the Lokpal, under which any citizen could complain against the ombudsman to the president. The bill would now provide that the Lokpal could be removed by the Supreme Court after 100 MPs of both the houses file a complaint against him.
Four cabinet ministers - Law Minister Salman Khurshid, Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal and Minister of State in the Prime Minister’s Office V. Narayanasamy - held informal consultations with various political parties to evolve a consensus over the past week.
Sources said even if the Lokpal bill is passed in the upper house, there would be no time left to refer it back to the Lok Sabha as the government wants to pass several pending bills. The ongoing budget session ends May 22.
Communist Party of India-Marxist leader Sitaram Yechury, meanwhile, told IANS that so far the new version of the bill has not been given to members by government.
“We have not got the bill,” he said.
- Government begins efforts to reach consensus on Lokpal bill - May 10, 2012
- Government trying for consensus on Lokpal bill - May 14, 2012
- Government's fresh bid to end Lokpal logjam fails (Roundup) - Mar 23, 2012
- Government seeks support on Lokpal, opposition for changes (Second Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
- Cabinet to discuss Lokpal bill Tuesday, Hazare calls it worthless (Roundup) - Dec 19, 2011
- BJP against passage of Lokpal bill, says Sibal (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Lokpal debate in parliament Saturday; Anna firm on key demands (Roundup) - Aug 27, 2011
- Lokpal bill in Rajya Sabha likely later Wednesday: Bansal (Second Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- PM's all-party meet fails to break Lokpal jam (Lead) - Mar 23, 2012
- Lokpal bill in Rajya Sabha Thursday (Third Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Congress meets to chalk out Lokpal strategy (Lead) - Aug 27, 2011
- Lokpal Bill alive, to be taken up in budget session: Bansal (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Cabinet to discuss Lokpal Tuesday, Hazare calls it worthless (Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- Lokpal bill in Rajya Sabha later Wednesday: Bansal (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Mukherjee says discussions in both houses after his statement - Aug 27, 2011
Tags: affairs minister, bansal, budget session, cabinet ministers, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, informal consultations, kapil sibal, khurshid, law minister, Lok Sabha, marxist leader, minister of state, ombudsman, parliamentary affairs, rajya sabha, salman, session ends, sitaram yechury, upper house