Lokayukta appointment to be our first action in Goa: Sonia GandhiFebruary 26th, 2012 - 1:06 am ICT by IANS
Panaji, Feb 25 (IANS) Congress president Sonia Gandhi Saturday said the first action of the Congress government in Goa, if the party is re-elected to power, would be the express enactment of an impartial Lok Ayukta.
“The first action if we get re-elected is the setting up of a firm and impartial Lok Ayukta in Goa,” said Gandhi, who was in poll-bound Goa to address a public meeting in Margao, 35 km from here.
“No one is above the law and our investigating agencies need a free hand,” Gandhi said.
The chairperson of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) also accused the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) of double-speak on the issue of corruption.
“We are committed to a strong Lokpal and we passed the law in the Lok Sabha. The BJP and the other parties ensured that it did not pass in the Rajya Sabha,” Gandhi said.
She also underlined stability as the biggest draw of the Congress party, asking people to vote them back to power to ensure that Goa gets a stable government for five years.
“Only the experienced Congress can give you a stable government which is essential for the development and progress of the state,” Gandhi said.
“I hope in all humility that we will receive your mandate one more time to give you a good and performing government,” Gandhi said.
The ruling Congress-Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) alliance is taking on the Bharatiya Janata Party and its ally, the Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party (MGP) in the March 3 assembly polls here.
- Kamat resigns as Goa chief minister - Mar 06, 2012
- BJP wins simple majority in Goa - Mar 06, 2012
- Congress keeping Goa illegal mining report under wraps: Munde - Feb 26, 2012
- Goa Congress-NCP poll alliance to be unveiled this week - Jan 09, 2012
- Celebrations at BJP office in Goa - Mar 06, 2012
- Goa results will go the way of Mumbai civic poll: BJP - Feb 18, 2012
- MGP minister quits Goa coalition government - Feb 02, 2012
- Congress facing dual incumbency in Goa: Jaitley - Jan 15, 2012
- Congress claim whittles, BJP coy over seats - Mar 02, 2012
- BJP fielding candidates of mining lobby: Kamat - Feb 26, 2012
- 75 percent voting in Goa (Fourth Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- BJP announces poll alliance with MGP in Goa - Feb 05, 2012
- Counting begins in Goa - Mar 06, 2012
- 'BJP will form government in Goa' - Mar 06, 2012
- BJP-led coalition stakes claim to form Goa government (Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
Tags: ally, assembly polls, bharatiya janata party, bjp, chairperson, congress government, congress president sonia gandhi, enactment, goa, humility, lok ayukta, Lok Sabha, maharashtrawadi gomantak party, mgp, nationalist congress party, ncp, panaji, progressive alliance, rajya sabha, stable government