Lok Sabha to sit Saturday, may discuss LokpalAugust 26th, 2011 - 6:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 26 (IANS) The government Friday announced that the Lok Sabha will function Saturday, indicating that the discussion on different versions of the Lokpal bill will finally be held.
“The Lok Sabha will sit on Saturday (Aug 27) in connection with transaction of essential items of government business,” a statement from the Lok Sabha secretariat said.
The announcement comes after the government’s decision to have a debate on various versions of the anti-graft Lokpal bill in the house.
“If the debate is under rule 193, if all agree, it can be adopted as a resolution,” Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal said.
The debate was supposed to be held Friday but opposition MPs, particularly from the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), protested that they were informed about the debate at a short notice and they didn’t get the time to prepare.
“We were informed at 2.15 p.m. that the discussion will start at 2.30 p.m. We have already given notices in the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha for the discussion under rules that entail voting,” BJP’s Sushma Swaraj told reporters.
The discussion has assumed urgency as Anna Hazare’s fast for a strong Lokpal bill will enter its 12th day Saturday.
- BJP gives notice for Lokpal debate with voting - Aug 26, 2011
- Lok Sabha adjourned as BJP protests over Lokpal debate - Aug 26, 2011
- 187 amendments played spoiler to Lokpal bill: Government (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Mukherjee says discussions in both houses after his statement - Aug 27, 2011
- Congress meets to chalk out Lokpal strategy (Lead) - Aug 27, 2011
- BJP signals a stormy monsoon session - Jul 30, 2011
- Lokpal debate in parliament Saturday; Anna firm on key demands (Roundup) - Aug 27, 2011
- BJP, Congress seek to pin down each other on Lokpal bill fiasco (Intro-Roundup) - Dec 31, 2011
- Hazare protest stalls parliament, no business done (Third Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- Hazare protest stalls parliament - Aug 23, 2011
- Lok Sabha to debate Lokpal issue Saturday: Bansal - Aug 26, 2011
- Government plan to extend parliament session opposed (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Lokpal in Rajya Sabha, Congress in Trinamool tangle (Roundup) - Dec 28, 2011
- 187 amendments played spoiler to Lokpal bill: Government - Dec 30, 2011
- Rajya Sabha to take up Lokpal debate Thursday (Third Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
Tags: affairs minister, anna hazare, anti graft, bansal, bharatiya janata party, bjp, government business, lok sabha secretariat, New Delhi, opposition mps, parliamentary affairs, pawan kumar, rajya sabha, secretariat, sushma swaraj, urgency