Lok Sabha passes amended OBC quota billMay 16th, 2012 - 10:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 16 (IANS) Parliament Wednesday passed a bill which will give higher education institutions three more years to fill up the 27 percent seats reserved for other backward classes (OBCs).
The Lok Sabha passed the Central Educational Institutions (Reservation in Admission) Amendment Bill, 2012 Wednesday after the Rajya Sabha passed it April 28.
Besides 27 percent quota for OBCs, the national policy provides for reservation of 15 percent seats for Scheduled Castes (SCs) and 7.5 percent seats for Scheduled Tribes (STs).
According to the bill, if there are central educational institutions in a tribal area, the state seats in those institutions will have reservation for SCs, STs and OBCs.
The bill says that if the total number of reserved seats exceed 50 percent, there would be no reservation for the OBCs and the total percentage of reserved sets will be reduced to 50 percent in all areas except the specified northeast region.
The implementation of the act started in 2008 and will now extend till 2014. Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal moved the motion to pass the amendment bill.
- Rajya Sabha passes amended central institutions act - Apr 27, 2012
- Posts for SCs, STs lie vacant in central universities - Aug 20, 2012
- UP employees asked to strike work against promotion quota bill - Sep 04, 2012
- Mayawati demands constitution amendment for SC/ST quota (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Udit Raj welcomes decision on Lokpal reservations - Dec 21, 2011
- Nod for amendment to bill on women's quota in panchayats - Jul 21, 2011
- Promotion quota bill in Rajya Sabha, SP, BSP lock horns (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Cabinet nod for job promotion quotas; BJP, SP, BSP spar (Second Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Both Congress and BJP against quota in promotions bill: Mayawati - Sep 05, 2012
- No stay on sub-quota quashing to hit 325 IIT aspirants - Jun 13, 2012
- Cabinet approves bill for reservation in job promotions - Sep 04, 2012
- Congress attacks Mayawati over Muslim quota - Dec 19, 2011
- Cabinet approval for Lokpal bill likely Monday (Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- PM hints at amendment bill for quota in job promotions (Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- PM to head all-party meet on job promotion quota - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: admission, amendment bill, development minister, education institutions, educational institutions, higher education, human resource development, implementation, kapil sibal, Lok Sabha, New Delhi, parliament, quota bill, rajya sabha, scs, tribal area, tribes