Lok Sabha panel views CDs on cash-for-votes scamAugust 4th, 2008 - 6:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 4 (IANS) A seven-member Lok Sabha panel, constituted to look into three Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MPs’ allegation that they were bribed to abstain during the July 22 trust vote, Monday viewed audio and video tapes of a TV channel’s sting operation that allegedly filmed the bribery negotiations. The committee, headed by Congress MP V. Kishore Chandra Deo, will take the statements of the three MPs during its third meeting Thursday.
“We watched the audio and video tapes today. We have asked the Lok Sabha secretariat to make a transcript (for the panel members),” Deo told reporters after watching the tapes for nearly three hours.
He also said that the panel has asked the CNN-IBN, the television channel which had conducted the sting operation, to send its representative for giving evidence during its meeting on Aug 11.
The committee, formed by Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee, is expected to submit its report by Aug 11. However, Deo has said he would not make any report in a hurry.
The three MPs, Ashok Argal, Faggan Singh Kulaste and Mahavir Bhagora, who July 22 evening stunned the nation by brandishing wads of cash in the Lok Sabha shortly before the Manmohan Singh government was to face the trust vote, had accused Samajwadi Party general secretary Amar Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi’s political secretary Ahmed Patel of offering them bribes to abstain.
The BJP has claimed that the three MPs were offered Rs.30 million each and had been paid Rs.10 million each as advance.
Singh and Patel, both Rajya Sabha MPs, have denied the allegation.
- Cash-for-vote: Cops furnish CD transcripts to accused - May 26, 2012
- Cash-for-votes: BJP MP booked; bail pleas of three put off - Oct 03, 2011
- Cash-for-vote: Police likely to file another charge sheet - Feb 10, 2012
- Cash-for-votes: Order on bail plea of five accused Nov 16 (Lead) - Nov 14, 2011
- Expose beneficiaries of cash-for-vote: Kulkarni - Nov 18, 2011
- Cash-for-vote: Non-bailable warrant against Hindustani - Aug 14, 2012
- Congress influencing police: Ashok Argal - Sep 06, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Kulkarni, two BJP former MPs walk out of Tihar - Nov 17, 2011
- Gadkari meets jailed party colleagues in Tihar - Oct 31, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Government indeed tried to buy MPs, says BJP - Nov 17, 2011
- Ahmed Patel was mastermind behind cash-for-vote scam: Gadkari - Nov 18, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Summons to Rewati Raman Singh stayed - Oct 24, 2011
- Cash-for-vote case: Police file another charge sheet - Apr 30, 2012
- Cash-for-votes: Summons for Samajwadi Party MP quashed - Dec 15, 2011
- Advani, Jaitley meet Kulkarni, ex-MPs in Tihar - Sep 28, 2011
Tags: ahmed patel, amar singh, argal, ashok, cnn, cnn ibn, congress president sonia gandhi, kishore, lok sabha secretariat, mahavir, manmohan, manmohan singh, political secretary, rajya sabha, somnath chatterjee, sting operation, television channel, trust vote, video tapes, wads