Lok Sabha panel on cash-for-votes scam gets more timeAugust 9th, 2008 - 6:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 9 (IANS) The seven member Lok Sabha panel constituted to look into three Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MPs’ allegations that they were bribed to abstain during the July 22 trust vote has been given an extension till Aug 29 to submit its report to Speaker Somnath Chatterjee. The speaker-appointed committee headed by Congress MP V. Kishore Chandra Deo was earlier asked to submit its report by Aug 11. However, Deo, who had stated that he did not want to conclude the probe in a hurry, had sought more time to look into the issue.
The three MPs, Ashok Argal, Faggan Singh Kulaste and Mahavir Bhagora, July 22 evening stunned the nation by brandishing wads of cash in the Lok Sabha shortly before the Manmohan Singh government was to face the trust vote.
They accused Samajwadi Party general secretary Amar Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi’s political secretary Ahmed Patel of offering them bribes to abstain from the crucial vote.
The Lok Sabha panel has already watched the video and audio tapes of the sting operation conducted by the CNN-IBN television channel and questioned both Kulaste and Argal.
The committee has asked CNN-IBN to send its representatives to appear before it at the next meeting Aug 11.
A second CD, which reportedly turned out to be a bogus one, was presented by former Madhya Pradesh chief minister Uma Bharti, who also claimed that BJP had stage-managed the entire episode.
Three allies of the ruling United Progressive Alliance (UPA) - Rashtriya Janata Dal, Lok Janashakti Party and Samajwadi Party - also released a fresh CD a few days back showing that the BJP had “stage-managed” the episode for political gains during the July 22 trust vote.
- Cash-for-votes case: Amar Singh, five others chargesheeted - Aug 24, 2011
- Cash-for-votes scam: Amar Singh, three others summoned - Aug 25, 2011
- Cash-for-votes scam: Amar Singh to appear in court Tuesday - Sep 05, 2011
- Meira Kumar sanctions prosecution of BJP MP Ashok Argal (Lead) - Sep 30, 2011
- Cash for votes: Amar Singh, two others arrested, jailed - Sep 06, 2011
- Cash-for-vote: Cops furnish CD transcripts to accused - May 26, 2012
- Cash-for-votes scam: Ex-BJP worker to be quizzed - Jul 19, 2011
- Court defers Hindustani's bail plea till Sep 20 - Sep 16, 2011
- Cash-for-vote: Non-bailable warrant against Hindustani - Aug 14, 2012
- No prima facie evidence against Amar Singh: K.C. Deo - Jul 19, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Order on bail plea of five accused Nov 16 (Lead) - Nov 14, 2011
- Amar Singh to be questioned on cash-for-votes - Jul 20, 2011
- Congress MP who probed cash-for-votes scam wants deeper inquiry (Lead) - Mar 17, 2011
- Second arrest made in cash-for-votes case - Jul 20, 2011
- Congress influencing police: Ashok Argal - Sep 06, 2011
Tags: ahmed patel, amar singh, argal, cnn, cnn ibn, congress president sonia gandhi, episode three, kishore, Lok Sabha, mahavir, manmohan, manmohan singh, political secretary, progressive alliance, Samajwadi Party, somnath, sting operation, television channel, trust vote, uma bharti