Lok Sabha adjourned till 2 p.m. over Assam violence (Lead)August 13th, 2012 - 2:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 13 (IANS) The Lok Sabha was Monday adjourned for the second time, this time till 2 p.m., after opposition members raised a ruckus over the violence in Assam and its echoes in Mumbai.
Shiv Sena member Anant Geete raised the issue of Saturday’s violence in Mumbai that claimed two lives and left over 50 people injured. The Shiv Sena demanded a statement from the government. Congress member Sanjay Nirupam countered Geete by saying that the government was taking action.
However, angry opposition members refused to be placated and they rushed to the speaker’s podium. The Shiv Sena members were waving copies of the Sena mouthpiece, Saamna, on the Mumbai violence.
Speaker Meira Kumar adjourned the house till 2 p.m. amid uproarious scenes.
Earlier, the house was adjourned till 12 noon after Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) members demanded that black money stashed abroad be brought back.
Speaker Meira Kumar adjourned the house after BJP members refused to allow proceedings to be run and rushed to the speaker’s podium.
They kept shouting when Minister for Social Justice Mukul Wasnik was replying on the issue of manual scavenging.
Wasnik said the government was bringing a new bill and would do everything to end the practice, but his reply was drowned in the ruckus.
This provoked Speaker Meira Kumar to say that she would have liked it if the members had participated in the discussion related to the issue.
The BJP’s agitation in the lower house on the issue of comes as yoga guru Baba Ramdev has threatened a “revolution” unless the government brings back black money stashed abroad.
- Lok Sabha adjourned till Tuesday over Assam, Mumbai (Second Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Lok Sabha adjourned over black money issue - Aug 13, 2012
- Lok Sabha adjourned over Assam, black money - Aug 14, 2012
- Parliament disrupted over black money (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Pranab loses cool, Lok Sabha adjourned - Feb 25, 2011
- Parties back black money issue inside, outside parliament (Second Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Parliament adjourned for second day over scams (Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
- BJP corners PM over coal scam, parliament disrupted (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- No business, parliament adjourned for second day - Nov 23, 2011
- Uproar in Lok Sabha over Chidambaram's role in telecom deal - May 08, 2012
- Furore in Lok Sabha over coal scam - Aug 21, 2012
- Parliament disrupted, opposition targets Chidambaram (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- After 13 days of disruption, monsoon session ends (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- BJP protests force Lok Sabha to adjourn for day (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Lok Sabha adjourned again over Mumbai train workers strike (Lead) - May 04, 2010
Tags: agitation, assam, black money, congress member, echoes, janata party, Lok Sabha, meira kumar, mouthpiece, mukul, opposition members, podium, ramdev, ruckus, saamna, sanjay nirupam, shiv sena, social justice, uproarious, yoga guru