Lok Sabha adjourned over Advani’s commentsAugust 8th, 2012 - 2:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 8 (IANS) The Lok Sabha was adjourned for the second time Wednesday after BJP leader L.K. Advani termed the UPA-II government as “illegitimate”.
The remark provoked vociferous protests from the ruling benches. Advani later clarified that he was referring to the 2008 parliament trust vote and not the 2009 elections.
While speaking on the Assam violence, Advani said the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance-I government was legitimate but UPA-II was not.
Congress members in particular were immediately on their feet and demanded that the remark be taken back.
For once, Congress president Sonia Gandhi lost her cool and gesticulated at BJP members. Speaker Meira Kumar’s appeal for calm went unheeded.
The speaker asked Advani to take back his remark, after which he clarified that he was referring to the July 2008 confidence vote which the UPA-I had won amid bedlam.
As bedlam persisted, Meira Kumar adjourned the house till 2 p.m.
- PM calls Advani's remark disgraceful, Sonia agitated (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Agitated Sonia takes on Advani - Aug 08, 2012
- Aggressive Sonia spurs Congress, forces Advani to retract (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Advani still fighting trust vote in his mind: Congress - Aug 08, 2012
- Cash-for-votes: Advani taunts government to jail him - Sep 08, 2011
- Advani, Sushma Swaraj skip Meira Kumar's tea party - Sep 08, 2011
- Parliament deadlocked again as price rise protests continue (Roundup) - Jul 29, 2010
- BJP adjournment motion on Assam violence rejected - Aug 08, 2012
- Lok Sabha adjourned as BJP protests over Lokpal debate - Aug 26, 2011
- BJP moves privilege notice against PM in cash-for-vote scam - Mar 22, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: BJP MP booked; bail pleas of three put off - Oct 03, 2011
- PM to make statement on Wiki expose, Lok Sabha adjourned (Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- Uproar in Parliament over PM privilege motion - Mar 22, 2011
- President's office should not be sought after: Pranab (Lead) - Jun 30, 2012
- Day 3 in Parliament: No work, logjam on over price rise, Telangana - Nov 24, 2011
Tags: assam, bedlam, benches, bjp leader, calm, confidence vote, congress members, congress president sonia gandhi, l k advani, Lok Sabha, meira kumar, New Delhi, parliament, parliament trust, progressive alliance, protests, second time, trust vote, UPA, violence