Lok Sabha adjourned following protestsFebruary 19th, 2009 - 1:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 19 (IANS) The Lok Sabha was adjourned till noon Thursday following protests from various parties on different issues.
A large number of MPs trooped into the well of the house as soon as the proceedings began at 11 a.m., forcing Speaker Somnath Chatterjee to adjourn the house at 11:15 a.m.
While Dalit MPs of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) were protesting against the SC/ST (Reservation in Post and Services) Bill 2008, MPs of MDMK and PMK rushed to the well of the house protesting the policy of the government over the civil war in Sri Lanka.
The bill was passed in the Rajya Sabha during the last session and the government was planning to introduce it in the Lok Sabha.
The speaker tried repeatedly to pacify the agitating members and at one point of time said: “You are insulting the people of the country and wasting public money. You are behaving in a condemnable manner”.
Others who joined the protest on various issues also included MPs of Telugu Desam Party from Andhra Pradesh over the Satyam scam. Republican Party of India MP Ramdas Athwale also joined the BJP and BSP protest.
- You don't deserve a single paisa, Chatterjee tells MPs (Lead) - Feb 19, 2009
- Advani, Sushma Swaraj skip Meira Kumar's tea party - Sep 08, 2011
- Parliament disrupted, opposition targets Chidambaram (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Congress MPs add to Telangana chorus, Lok Sabha disrupted (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2011
- SC order against quotas in promotions rocks parliament (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Nothing extraordinary in Rajya Sabha proceedings: Somnath - Dec 30, 2011
- Protests over graft, inflation stall parliament second day (Third Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- Parliament disrupted over anti-Chidambaram protests - Dec 16, 2011
- Parliament's winter session: Protests wash out first week - Nov 25, 2011
- Lok Sabha adjourned over Telangana - Apr 30, 2012
- Parliament adjourned till Monday over anti-Chidambaram protests (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Price rise storm hits parliament, both houses adjourned (Lead) - Jul 27, 2010
- Parliament stalled over Mulayam's 'house arrest' - Mar 07, 2011
- Telangana issue stalls parliament as MPs unite (Lead) - Mar 03, 2011
- Parliament adjourned for day over Anna detention (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
Tags: bahujan samaj party, bahujan samaj party bsp, bharatiya janata party, bjp, civil war, last session, Lok Sabha, mdmk, mp, New Delhi, pmk, proceedings, protests, public money, rajya sabha, ramdas, republican party, samaj, somnath, war in sri lanka