Lok Sabha adjourned again over Mumbai train workers strike (Lead)May 4th, 2010 - 4:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 4 (IANS) The Lok Sabha was adjourned again till 5.30 p.m. Tuesday over the Mumbai suburban train drivers’ strike as agitating Shiv Sena and Left party members created a ruckus demanding an immediate statement on the issue by Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee.
Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs V. Narayanasamy said a statement would be made in the house by 6 p.m.
However, the Shiv Sena and Left members continued creating unruly scenes, forcing Deputy Speaker Karia Munda to adjourn the house.
Earlier, the house was adjourned till 2 p.m. over the issue.
Deputy Leader of the opposition Gopinath Munde said the motormen had given a strike notice Jan 26.
“They also went on hunger strike… now legal action is being taken, this cannot solve the problem,” he said, referring to the promulgation of the Essential Services Maintenance Act (ESMA) against the staff.
Anant Geete of the Shiv Sena demanded that Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal appeal to the striking motormen to resume work.
“Discuss the issue and find a solution. Since the railway minister is not present, the parliamentary affairs minister must appeal on behalf of the house for calling off the strike,” said Geete.
“(The trains are) the lifeline of Mumbai but the government is quiet on the issue,” he said.
Congress MP Sanjay Nirupam said the demands of the motormen were genuine and the government should consider them sympathetically. “They are just asking for overtime (allowance),” he said.
Trying to pacify the agitated members, Bansal assured the house that a statement will be made as soon as Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee reaches the house.
He also asked the opposition members supporting the strike to persuade the motormen to call it off.
When the agitated members did not calm down, a frustrated Speaker Meira Kumar adjourned the house till 2 p.m.
- Lok Sabha adjourned over train drivers' stir - May 04, 2010
- Lok Sabha adjourned till 2 p.m. over Assam violence (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Lok Sabha adjourned till Tuesday over Assam, Mumbai (Second Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Motormen's strike: Lok Sabha adjourns till 5.30 pm - May 04, 2010
- Unruly scenes in Lok Sabha as Trinamool MP fumes - May 04, 2010
- Mamata's absence irks MPs, stalls Lok Sabha's functioning (Parliament Roundup) - May 04, 2010
- Uproar over Mumbai motormen's strike, Lok Sabha adjourned till 2 pm - May 04, 2010
- Ruckus in Lok Sabha over slur by Trinamool MP (Lead) - May 04, 2010
- Lok Sabha adjourned over opposition protests - May 04, 2010
- Rajya Sabha adjourned thrice as opposition targets Bansal - Mar 14, 2011
- Lok Sabha adjourned over Haryana land to Rajiv trust - Aug 18, 2011
- Odisha kidnapping: BJP, BJD slam central government - Mar 23, 2012
- Gujarat Lokayukta rocks parliament for third day - Sep 05, 2011
- Uproar in Lok Sabha over minister's Air India remarks - May 15, 2012
- PM to make statement in Lok Sabha at 2 p.m. - Mar 18, 2011
Tags: affairs minister, deputy leader of the opposition, deputy speaker, essential services, hunger strike, karia, leader of the opposition, Lok Sabha, maintenance act, meira kumar, minister of state, opposition members, parliamentary affairs, railway minister, ruckus, sanjay nirupam, services maintenance, suburban train, train drivers, train workers