Lok Sabha adjourned again over fuel price hike (Lead)March 3rd, 2010 - 1:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 3 (IANS) An unrelenting Opposition forced the adjournment of the Lok Sabha for a second consecutive time Wednesday, demanding that the hike in fuel prices be rolled back.
As soon as the House convened at noon after an earlier disruption, opposition MPs were on their feet and walked purposefully towards the speaker’s podium.
Deputy Speaker Karia Munda appealed to the members to allow parliament to function but it fell on deaf ears as a determined opposition kept shouting, “Yeh sarkar nikami hain (This government is useless).”
Realising no business could be transacted in the din, Munda adjourned the House till 2 p.m.
Earlier as soon as the house convened for question hour after a four-day Holi break, Samajwadi party members went up to the speaker’s podium shouting slogans against the fuel price rise. The main Opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) members followed suit.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar sensed the mood of the opposition MPs and adjourned the house for an hour.
The uproar on hike in fuel prices also forced the adjournment of Rajya Sabha with opposition led by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) demanding that it be rolled back.
Immediately after Rajya Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari called for question hour, BJP members led by party’s deputy leader in the house S.S. Ahluwalia and Narendra Pandey were on their feet, vociferously demanding roll back of fuel price hike.
With his repeated pleas for permitting question hour to proceed falling on deaf ears, Ansari adjourned the house till noon.
- Fuel price hike stalls parliament (Afternoon Lead) - Mar 03, 2010
- Lok Sabha adjourned after Opposition raises fuel price hike - Mar 03, 2010
- Peace in Lok Sabha after two adjournments (Second Lead) - Mar 03, 2010
- Rajya Sabha adjourned again, peace returns to Lok Sabha (Third Lead) - Mar 03, 2010
- Rajya Sabha adjourned over fuel price hike - Mar 03, 2010
- After 13 days of disruption, monsoon session ends (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- No business, parliament adjourned for second day - Nov 23, 2011
- Lok Sabha adjourned over Telangana - Apr 30, 2012
- BJP forces three Lok Sabha adjournments - Sep 05, 2011
- Rajya Sabha adjourned till Thursday (Lead) - Jul 28, 2010
- Telangana issue stalls parliament as MPs unite (Lead) - Mar 03, 2011
- Gujarat Lokayukta rocks parliament for third day - Sep 05, 2011
- Both houses of parliament adjourned again - Nov 24, 2011
- No parliament business for ninth day, 2G deadlock on (Third Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- Congress, opposition stall parliament over Telangana - Mar 03, 2011
Tags: ahluwalia, bharatiya janata party, consecutive time, deputy leader, deputy speaker, falling on deaf ears, fuel price hike, fuel price rise, fuel prices, holi, karia, Lok Sabha, meira kumar, munda, narendra, nikami, opposition mps, rajya sabha, sarkar, uproar