Lok Sabha adjourned after unruly scenesJuly 22nd, 2008 - 1:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 22 (IANS) Speaker Somnath Chatterjee adjourned the Lok Sabha for 15 minutes just a couple of minutes before noon Tuesday amid unruly scenes during the confidence motion debate. The unruly scenes occurred when Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader V.K. Malhotra accused the United Progressive Alliance government of taking support of convicted criminals to survive the trust vote.
This led to an uproar from the treasury benches, and Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) MPs Pappu Yadav and Shahabuddin - both serving jail terms - were up on their feet, leading to the adjournment.
Pappu Yadav accused Malhotra of contacting him and offering money to vote for the opposition during the trust vote, a charge the veteran BJP leader hotly denied.
- Ugly scenes in Lok Sabha over RJD's jailbirds (Lead) - Jul 22, 2008
- Time line of cash-for-vote scandal - Mar 17, 2011
- Parliament disrupted, opposition targets Chidambaram (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- NDA to back Left in parliament over price rise - Nov 20, 2011
- Day 3 in Parliament: No work, logjam on over price rise, Telangana - Nov 24, 2011
- Protest over women's bill stalls Lok Sabha - Mar 09, 2010
- WikiLeaks: Walkout in Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha adjourned (Roundup) - Mar 22, 2011
- Go Manmohan, says opposition after WikiLeaks expose (Intro-Roundup) - Mar 17, 2011
- Rajya Sabha adjourned amid chaos, minus Lokpal (Second Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Government must go, says opposition after WikiLeaks disclosures (Afternoon Lead) - Mar 17, 2011
- Price rise storm hits parliament, both houses adjourned (Lead) - Jul 27, 2010
- Uproar over price rise stalls parliament (Roundup) - Jul 27, 2010
- Both houses of parliament adjourned over price rise - Jul 27, 2010
- Opposition steals show in parliament on first day (Intro Roundup) - Jul 27, 2010
- Stormy start to parliament, 8 Congress MPs suspended (Roundup) - Apr 24, 2012
Tags: 15 minutes, adjournment, alliance government, benches, confidence motion, couple of minutes, criminals, jail terms, janata party, Lok Sabha, malhotra, motion debate, New Delhi, progressive alliance, rjd, somnath chatterjee, trust vote, uproar, veteran, yadav