Live on this! BJP sends Rs.32 to PM, SoniaSeptember 27th, 2011 - 9:38 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Sep 27 (IANS) Mocking the government’s stand on poverty, the Bharatiya Janata Party’s Madhya Pradesh unit has sent demand drafts of Rs.32 each to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi, asking them to show how to live for a day on the sum.
Demand drafts of Rs. 26 each were sent to Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia with the same request, state unit chief Prabhat Jha said Tuesday.
The BJP’s action came in protest against the Planning Commission’s benchmark of poverty, fixing the cut-off at expenditures of Rs.32 for urban and Rs.26 for the rural areas in the country in an affidavit presented before the Supreme Court.
According to the Planning Commission’s findings, those spending more than Rs 32 in urban areas and Rs 26 in rural areas would not come under the definition of below poverty line (BPL) cases.
Terming it as a “cruel joke of the poor”, Jha said it was a conspiracy on the part of the central government to gradually deprive the poor people from the benefits of many welfare schemes.
- Montek meets PM amid controversy over poverty data - Oct 02, 2011
- Poverty line issue sorted out, new definition soon - Oct 03, 2011
- Kashmir villager sends Rs.26 to Manmohan, Montek - Oct 01, 2011
- Rural development spending not limited to BPL: Ramesh - Oct 03, 2011
- UPA coming with different versions of poverty line: BJP - Oct 04, 2011
- Plan panel misleading Supreme Court on poverty: BJP - Oct 03, 2011
- Not understating poverty, no cap for food allocation: Montek (Roundup) - Oct 03, 2011
- Live on Rs.32 a day or quit, NGOs taunts plan panel - Sep 29, 2011
- No poverty cap for food allocation: Montek - Oct 03, 2011
- 40.74 crore people below poverty line, apex court told - Sep 21, 2011
- Plan panel's poverty line not to impact socio-economic census - Sep 27, 2011
- Opposition slams government over poverty norm (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Plan panel in opposition line of fire over poverty norm (Third Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Ruckus in Rajya Sabha over lowering poverty line - Mar 20, 2012
- Planning Commission to set up panel to measure poverty (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
Tags: affidavit, bharatiya janata party, bhopal, bjp, central government, congress president sonia gandhi, cruel joke, demand drafts, deputy chairman, madhya pradesh, manmohan, manmohan singh, montek singh ahluwalia, planning commission, poverty line, pranab mukherjee, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, unit chief, welfare schemes