Like Aamir, I’m also quite a perfectionist: AsinDecember 24th, 2008 - 9:37 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 24 (IANS) Aamir Khan’s perfectionist attitude often sends jitters down his co-stars’ spines. But southern beauty Asin, who is set to make her Bollywood debut with Aamir in “Ghajini”, says she had no issues matching up to the superstar as she too always settles for nothing but the best.”People often call Aamir a perfectionist and a tough taskmaster, but I didn’t have any problem matching up to him because I’m also quite a workaholic. We gelled quite well as far as the demand of perfection was concerned. Even I like things to be the best,” Asin told IANS over telephone from Mumbai.
Just like any other girl her age, 23-year-old Asin has been a huge Aamir fan.
“I have always admired Aamir and have enjoyed his movies ‘Lagaan’ and ‘Dil Chahta Hai’ and also loved ‘Taare Zameen Par’. I have danced a lot on ‘Dil Chahta Hai’ songs with my friends,” she said.
After working with the superstar, she says he is unlike what the media and industry project him to be.
“Shooting with Aamir was great fun. He isn’t as serious as he is projected to be. He is highly dedicated to his work but is very cool and easy to work with. He’s a simple person, very genuine and frank about his opinions despite having such a good stature in Bollywood,” said Asin.
The actress, who was brought up in Kerala and debuted in Sathyan Anthikad’s Malayalam film “Narendra Makan Jayakanthan Vaka” in 2001, also starred in the Tamil version of “Ghajini” released in 2005. It was in this film that she received her second South Filmfare Award for best actress.
Asin has been kept away from the promotions of the Hindi remake thanks to Aamir’s knack for keeping his cast away from the media prior to the release. But she is nonchalant.
“I have not felt overshadowed by Aamir’s publicity at all. Actually, I’m not used to all this really because we don’t have it in the south film industry. The marketing team for ‘Ghajini’ has its strategy to promote the film in the right manner. If Aamir is promoting the film in the north, I am doing it in the south,” she said.
Besides, Asin believes publicity is something that would only bring people to the theatres. Liking or not liking the film is in the viewers’ hands, she said.
According to her, though audiences down south have already seen and appreciated the original “Ghajini”, they would surely revisit theatres for Aamir’s charm.
“Aamir has got a huge fan following and he is the highlight of the film. In fact, since a lot of people down south have seen the Tamil version of the film, they will now probably come to theatres just to watch Aamir.
“I have no issues about that as ‘Ghajini’ is the story of Sanjay Singhania, played by Aamir. So the fact that his presence is being highlighted is completely justified,” said Asin.
As of now, the actress is “excited but anxious” of how her “new audience” will react to her performance when “Ghajini” hits theatres worldwide.
Her next Bollywood release after “Ghajini” would be Vipul Shah’s “London Dreams” in which she stars alongside Salman Khan and Ajay Devgan. She is also a part of Walt Disney’s multi-lingual project “19 Steps” and would be sharing screen space with south Indian superstar Kamal Haasan and Japanese actor Tadanobu Asano.
- Looking forward to the day when Salman gets married: Aamir - Mar 14, 2011
- Southern film industry can wait: Asin Thottumkal - Mar 20, 2012
- Salman, Aamir similar as people, differ in working style: Asin (Interview) - Oct 04, 2009
- No similarity between 'Zindagi Na...' and 'Dil Chahta Hai': Farhan - May 15, 2011
- Asin wants to reach masses with commercial films - Jul 05, 2012
- Outsiders are not taken seriously in Bollywood: Prachi Desai - Jul 04, 2012
- '19 Steps' is my next big film, says Asin - Mar 08, 2009
- John's New Role Model Is Aamir Khan - Jul 06, 2010
- Asin wants to do only commercial movies - Mar 22, 2012
- Aamir Khan on Katrina's wish list - Dec 21, 2010
- Aamir Khan signs next with Farhan Akhtar - Nov 01, 2010
- Why Is Aamir Khan Breaking His Rule For His Next Film? - Nov 18, 2010
- Remakes help me reach out to more people: Asin - Oct 10, 2010
- Even stars are into multi-starrers: Shazahn Padamsee - Feb 25, 2012
- Aamir prepares, Salman is spontaneous: Asin - Jun 03, 2011