Life in Assam hit by shutdowns, blockadeMay 7th, 2012 - 10:09 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, May 7 (IANS) Normal life was disrupted across Assam Monday due to separate shutdowns called by two community-based groups in support of their demands and blockade of the national highways by a third.
While the Peoples’ Joint Action Committee for Bodoland Movement (PJACBM) called a 36-hour stir asking the central government spell out its stand on a separate state for the Bodo community, the All Koch Rajbongshi Students Union (AKRSU) called a 12-hour dawn-to-dusk shutdown demanding a separate Kamatapur state and Scheduled Tribe status for the community.
Interestingly, a large part of the proposed Kamatapur state demanded by the Koch Rajbongshis falls in areas sought by PJACBM, a conglomeration of 45 Bodo and other communities.
AKRSU president Biswajit Rai said they do not have any opposition to a separate state demanded by any community.
“However, while creating a separate state for Bodos, areas of the proposed Kamatapur state should be kept intact,” he said.
The PJACBM shutdown will continue till Tuesday.
On the other hand, a large number of protesters, mainly non-Bodos under the banner of Non-Tribal Protection Forum, blocked national highways in the state in protest against the statehood demand of the Bodos.
Vehicular transport was affected for several hours in lower Assam and most commercial vehicles remained off the road.
“We are opposed to the creation of a separate state for the Bodos as non-tribals feel their existence is threatened,” said Non-Tribal Protection Forum president Nagen Deka.
- Bodoland gets more support, strike from May 7 - May 03, 2012
- Shutdown affects normal life in Assam - Aug 27, 2012
- Assam riots could be prevented: Rights body - Sep 11, 2012
- Telangana stokes statehood demand in northeast - Dec 12, 2009
- Rehabilitate Bengali Muslims only after verification: Bodo groups - Aug 18, 2012
- Non-tribal group calls for shutdown in Jharkhand - Oct 21, 2010
- Shutdown near total in northeast (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 06, 2012
- Army moves to seize illegal arms in Kokrajhar - Sep 01, 2012
- Nine killed in communal clashes in Assam's Kokrajhar - Jul 21, 2012
- Left wants forest land norms relaxed for non-tribals - Apr 01, 2011
- Tribal outfit strikes again, Assam death toll is 22 (Lead) - Nov 09, 2010
- Successive shutdowns disrupt life in northeast - Jan 22, 2011
- Tribal outfit continues murderous rampage in Assam, toll 23 (Second Lead) - Nov 10, 2010
- Bodos to march in Delhi -- for separate state - Oct 27, 2010
- Assam's Bodo tribals ramp demand for separate state - Nov 20, 2010
Tags: action committee, assam, blockade, central government, commercial vehicles, conglomeration, dawn to dusk, existence, guwahati, koch, national highways, opposition, protest, protesters, rai, shutdowns, statehood, students union, tribals, tribe