Libya’s rebel leader wants ‘fair trial’ for GaddafiAugust 23rd, 2011 - 4:24 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 23 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The head of Libya’s rebel National Transitional Council (NTC) said Monday that Muammar Gaddafi should get a fair trial.
Mustafa Abdel Jalil told a news conference in the rebel stronghold of Benghazi that he hopes Gaddafi will be “captured alive, so that he will be given a fair trial.”
Gaddafi may still be in Tripoli, as fierce fighting rages around his Tripoli residence, media reports said earlier in the day.
Government forces are refusing to surrender, even though the rebels have gained control of much of Tripoli. They also claimed to have captured three of Gaddafi’s sons.
Meanwhile, Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi’s elder son, Mohammad, escaped, Al Jazeera said late Monday. He was captured by the rebels earlier Monday.
Mohammad, who was arrested in his house during an interview with Al Jazeera, fled with the help of one of the rebels, the report said.
- Libyan rebel government to move to Tripoli next week - Sep 04, 2011
- Rebels tighten grip on Tripoli, capture Gaddafi's sons - Aug 22, 2011
- Deputy head of Libyan NTC resigns after protests - Jan 23, 2012
- Libyan rebels to move headquarters to Tripoli - Aug 24, 2011
- Russian presidential envoy ready to meet Gaddafi - Jun 08, 2011
- Libyan rebels search for Gaddafi (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- Egypt to extradite Gaddafi supporters - Mar 16, 2012
- NATO chief makes unannounced visit to Libya - Nov 01, 2011
- Libya's rebels ready for truce if Gaddafi also complies - Apr 01, 2011
- Gaddafi's elder son Mohammad escapes from rebels - Aug 23, 2011
- Libyan rebels' military chief killed - Jul 29, 2011
- Libya to be ruled by Islamic law: NTC - Oct 24, 2011
- Libyan interim PM assures fair trial of Gaddafi's son (Lead) - Nov 20, 2011
- Gaddafi's son vows to avenge father's death - Oct 23, 2011
- Rebels offer $1.3 mn bounty for Gaddafi - Aug 25, 2011
Tags: al jazeera, benghazi, fighting rages, government forces, libya, libyan leader muammar, libyan leader muammar gaddafi, mohammad, moscow, muammar gaddafi, national transitional council, news conference, ntc, rebel leader, rebel stronghold, rebels, ria novosti, tripoli