Libyan rebels council seeks Arab League recognitionMarch 12th, 2011 - 8:48 pm ICT by IANS
Cairo, March 12 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Libya’s National Transitional Council, set up by anti-Gaddafi rebels as a ruling body in the east of the country, has urged the Arab League to recognise it as a legitimate authority, Egyptian media said Saturday.
The council forwarded its request to Amr Moussa, head of the 22-nation Arab League, ahead of an emergency foreign ministerial meeting on Libya.
The Libyan oppositionists have also asked the Arab League to back up the west’s proposal on banning foreign flights to Libya to prevent aerial strikes by Muammar Gaddafi’s forces.
Protests against Gaddafi’s nearly 42-year rule began Feb 14. The government has been using force to suppress demonstrations. Clashes have claimed the lives of several thousand people. Rebels have taken over most of the eastern territories.
On Thursday, France officially recognised the Libyan rebel leadership. Other EU countries - Britain and Germany - have urged all EU members to shun Gaddafi’s regime.
In his address carried by Libyan state media, Gaddafi warned that the country would drop its obligations to the EU and pull out of international agreements unless the EU recognised Tripoli’s efforts to tackle terrorism and illegal migration in North Africa.
Russia Thursday joined the UN arms embargo on Libya but said it is opposed to western military intervention.
- Gaddafi warns of ending cooperation with EU - Mar 11, 2011
- France, Britain ready to hit Libya, says Sarkozy - Mar 11, 2011
- Egypt to extradite Gaddafi supporters - Mar 16, 2012
- International meet in Cairo to discuss Libya crisis - Apr 14, 2011
- Gaddafi's regime illegitimate: GCC - Mar 11, 2011
- Libyan opposition forms national council - Feb 28, 2011
- 'France, Britain to continue military operation in Libya' - Sep 16, 2011
- Militants escape from Libyan jails - Aug 26, 2011
- Western forces breaching UN resolution on Libya: Russian envoy - Apr 18, 2011
- EU to unfreeze Libyan banks' assets - Dec 22, 2011
- Pro-Gaddafi forces renew air attacks on rebels - Mar 08, 2011
- Chavez sends letter to Gaddafi wishing him victory - Aug 07, 2011
- Gaddafi daughter asks Libyans to revolt - Nov 30, 2011
- French warplanes destroy Gaddafi's command centre - Mar 29, 2011
- Suspend sanctions, Libya tells UN Security Council (Lead) - Mar 06, 2011
Tags: amr, amr moussa, arab league, arms embargo, clashes, eastern territories, egyptian media, eu countries, feb 14, illegal migration, international agreements, legitimate authority, military intervention, muammar gaddafi, national transitional council, north africa, rebels, ria novosti, several thousand, tripoli