Libyan NTC member doubts Gaddafi death accountOctober 23rd, 2011 - 9:39 am ICT by IANS
Tripoli, Oct 23 (IANS) A member of Libya’s National Transitional Council (NTC) has raised doubts over the exact circumstances of the death of former leader Muammar Gaddafi, Al Jazeera reported.
“Gaddafi was clearly captured and there should be an investigation as to how he ended up dead a short while later,” Waheed Burshan was quoted as saying.
“Was there a fight when transporting him to Misrata? We don’t know. But there was definitely a time gap and I am sure an investigation will happen,” he said.
Burshan’s official designation within the NTC was, however, not mentioned in the media report.
His remarks, contradicting the account by NTC executive committee head Mahmoud Jibril who said Gaddafi was killed in crossfire, came a day after the UN called for an investigation into the leader’s death.
On Saturday, people continued to line up in the coastal city of Misrata to view the corpse of Gaddafi, kept in a freezer.
Gaddafi was killed Thursday when NTC forces wrested control of his hometown Sirte.
- Muammar Gaddafi buried at secret location in desert - Oct 25, 2011
- 'Gaddafi should have been alive for being prosecuted - Oct 23, 2011
- Libya to form interim government in 8 months - Oct 22, 2011
- NTC seeks Gaddafi family's extradition - Oct 21, 2011
- Gaddafi was shot in the head: Autopsy - Oct 23, 2011
- Gaddafi's son vows to avenge father's death - Oct 23, 2011
- Finally, a hunted Gaddafi bleeds to death - Oct 20, 2011
- Gaddafi scavenged for food in his final days - Nov 08, 2011
- Vatican recognises Libya's NTC - Oct 22, 2011
- Autopsy says that Gadhafi died from shot to the head - Oct 24, 2011
- Gaddafi's son Saif captured - Nov 19, 2011
- Gaddafi forces carry on shelling rebels in Misrata - Apr 04, 2011
- Gaddafi killing smacks of war crime: Prosecutor - Dec 16, 2011
- Mass grave of 1,270 found in Libya - Sep 26, 2011
- Gaddafi's family to sue NATO - Oct 26, 2011
Tags: al jazeera, coastal city, committee head, corpse, crossfire, designation, exact circumstances, executive committee, freezer, gap, hometown, jibril, libya, libyan, mahmoud, muammar gaddafi, national transitional council, ntc member, time gap, tripoli