Libyan air strike on Benghazi kills 26March 19th, 2011 - 10:36 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, , March 19 (IANS/RIA Novosti) At least 26 were killed and over 40 were wounded after forces loyal to Libyan strongman Muammar Gaddafi pounded the rebellious city of Benghazi Saturday, the Al Jazeera TV channel said.
Gaddafi’s forces, in tanks and trucks, entered the rebel stronghold, and artillery and rockets bombarded its neighbourhoods. Some of the shells hit civilian areas, wounding women and children.
The Libyan government has said it was respecting the truce it announced Friday and that rebels were raiding villages and towns to draw in the West.
Leaders from the US, Britain, France and Arab countries are meeting in Paris Saturday to discuss ways to act on the resolution authorising “all necessary measures” to protect civilians.
US President Barack Obama earlier warned Gaddafi that he must stop the violence or face military action.
- Libya's rebel leader wants 'fair trial' for Gaddafi - Aug 23, 2011
- Russian presidential envoy ready to meet Gaddafi - Jun 08, 2011
- US calls upon UN to authorise Libya air strikes - Mar 17, 2011
- Libya to honour UN resolution if NATO ends air strikes: Russia - May 17, 2011
- Russia sends food aid to Libya - Jul 26, 2011
- International group agrees on aid to Libya rebels - May 05, 2011
- Fighter plane shot down, rebels evicted from Benghazi (Lead) - Mar 19, 2011
- France recognises rebel Libyan National Council - Mar 10, 2011
- Libyan rebels ask for weapons, says Italy - Apr 13, 2011
- Coalition forces 'strike Gaddafi's home town' : Libyan state TV - Mar 27, 2011
- Five Russian journalists set free by Libyan rebels - Apr 09, 2011
- Italy assigns eight combat aircraft for Libya air strikes - Apr 28, 2011
- US stopped 'Gaddafi's deadly advance': Obama (Lead) - Mar 29, 2011
- Gaddafi forces regain oil terminal town Al Brega - Mar 02, 2011
- Libya seeks Moscow's role in peaceful settlement to conflict - Apr 25, 2011
Tags: al jazeera, al jazeera tv, al jazeera tv channel, arab countries, artillery, barack obama, benghazi, civilian areas, libyan air, libyan government, march 19, military action, muammar gaddafi, necessary measures, neighbourhoods, rebel stronghold, ria novosti, rockets, strongman, truce